584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IH CNC fully converted for sale

IH Folks,

The time has come to move to a bigger/faster machine with a tool changer. So in order to make room for the bigger machine in my small shop, the IH CNC machine must go.

This machine has been up and running for 5 years now. Installed the kit myself with a great deal of help from Gene back in the day.

Since then it has gone through multiple upgrades to get it reliable enough to start an operation and walk away for 3-5 hours. In the past year, it has been used extensively for surfacing and prototyping very large time consuming jobs. It has worked better than I could have ever imagined and made me more money than I would have ever guessed. I have it to the point where I'll start an operation in the morning, monitor it via video camera while I'm at my real job. And remotely e-stop it when the part is finished hours later. I need something that can do automatic tool changes, so it's now time to upgrade.

Here's what comes with the machine:

IH square Mill fully converted with the IH kit
    IH Stand - with a full plexiglass enclosure and custom metal enclosure stand (10' x 4')
    Tormach TTS tooling (approximately 17 ER20 tool holders)
    2 year old Win 7 computer with touch screen monitor for the controller and separate monitor for 3d software
    Upgraded spindle motor (2 years old)
    Controller box with Gecko 320x drives.
    Smoothstepper
    Upgraded Hall sensor limit and home switches
    Fog buster coolant system controlled by cam software
    XBox 360 controller for moving axis, zeroing and homing
    Tool stand for measuring tools offline
    Other small items and extra parts

This machine is setup to be VERY easy to start. Basically turn on the computer. Load the Mach3 software. Hit the button to reference the axis. Load the program. Hit Start. All tooling is indexible.

Has been used exclusively for Aluminum work.

There are no major issues with the machine. It is currently in operation and running great. Of course there are cosmetic things since it's been used for 5 years, but other than that it is in great shape. The plastic covers over the axis pullys are a little cracked, but I don't use flood coolant, so it's not a problem. They keep out the chips.

I thought it would be easier to just post a video of it running instead of pictures. You can find the video here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYNDlB4pyE]IHCNC Mill - YouTube[/ame]

This would be a plug and play machine. Plug everything in. Adjust Gibbs. Start cutting.

Cost: $11,700 for everything

Shipping: Customer pays for shipping from Rapid City, South Dakota- the enclosure could be expensive since the base is all metal and welded.

Availability: August 20, 2012 (Still currently in use)

Please contact me via email if interested. More info available upon request.

[email protected]

Nice!

I'm almost done installing my CNC kit (paying work got in the way :-) and I'm wondering about the Tormach tooling. Did you document the installation anywhere or is there a good how-to FAQ?

I'm not sure the question. Really the Tormach tooling is just a way a way to make the tooling repeatable. So using their endmill holders and the R8 you can then just measure tools and enter them in Mach 3.

My setup is like this. I have tool #1 be a Haimer digital taster. When I turn on the machine, the first thing it does is loads tool 1. After the process finishes, I then touch off the top of the part I'm working on and make that 0 on the Z. (X and Y are always the same for my parts) Once that's done, the rest of the tools are already measured and have been entered in the tool database, so there is nothing really left to do other than change tools.

Basically, you have to have a tool for finding the offsets (I use the digital taster), and all the tools are in reference to that tool. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's fairly easy once you have the TTS holders.

If you need help setting this up, please let me know. I can run through how to do it.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by sdfoiler View Post
    I'm not sure the question.
    I've only seen their print ads, I just assumed that their automated tooling setup was designed for their product and needs to be modified to work on an RF-45 clone. On the other hand, it really could just be plug-and-play and I'm being too hesitant to start that project.

The Tormach ATC is specifically designed for their mill, but the TTS tooling can be used in just about any mill that has an R-8 spindle and a spindle face that is flat or can be flattened. The TTS holders all have 3/4" shanks and fit into a 3/4" R-8 arbor that has also been flattened on the face. Tormach has a nice downloadable brochure that describes the basic concept if you need more info.

Mike

What version of MAch3 is that? ... that screen looks a bit different than I am used to...

Also, how did you set up the xbox controller? (EDT: Never mind... found it...)

Richard

EDT: care to detail some of the "reliability" upgrades? did you change out any of the motors?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    What version of MAch3 is that? ... that screen looks a bit different than I am used to...

Also, how did you set up the xbox controller? (EDT: Never mind... found it...)

Richard

EDT: care to detail some of the "reliability" upgrades? did you change out any of the motors?
    Actually it's the latest version of Mach3 but with a different screen:

Machstdmill (Calypso Ventures, Inc.)

I like that screen much better than the original Mach3 screen. Very easy to use. But you can switch back to the standard screen also.

Reliability - yes, I went to hall sensors for all the limits and homing. Went to a 320x Gecko. Using a smoothstepper to get rid of strange errors. And upgraded the x and y motors (I honestly can't remember if I upgraded the Z, but I don't think I did.)

I'm dropping the price to $9700 since I really don't want this taking up space in my garage all winter. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I'm going to post it all over the place next week to see if I can get it sold.

It is a very solid and reliable machine. Granted, it's not a Maazak, but it sure did amazing things for me for the price!

Thanks!

Price dropped to $9700

IH Mill for sale

Hello

I am interested .. Please provide price and a list of all that is included with the mill. My email is [email protected].. Thanks

Hello

I am interested .. Please provide price and a list of all that is included with the mill. My email is [email protected].. Thanks

Sent email.

Here are some pics in case you want more detail:

http://www.xtremefoils.com/mill/ih/pics.html

After looking at your site I would almost think you were selling para sails - did you notice you don't have even one good pic of your product actually functioning in WATER.

Sales FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    After looking at your site I would almost think you were selling para sails - did you notice you don't have even one good pic of your product actually functioning in WATER.

Sales FAIL.
    Skullworks,

What the heck are you talking about??? I don't think the CNC machine would function well in the water - just a guess though.

Wow!

IH CNC has been sold.

He is probably referring to you core site link as follows:

Welcome To XTREME Foils

As if you didn't know!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by sdfoiler View Post
    Skullworks,

What the heck are you talking about??? I don't think the CNC machine would function well in the water - just a guess though.

Wow!