585,575 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Atkinson Cycle engine

Atkinson Cycle engine

Here is some video of my Atkinson I built. It was a fun build I had wanted to build one for a long time and finally got around to it. I would like to build the Atkinson differential engine to keep this one company (maybe).
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLTwe-hdpvY]atkinson engine - YouTube[/ame]

Nice job...runs sweet.
    Built one here myself, much the same only did castings. My flywheel is not quite as big diameter as it was all I had at the time and so low rpm is not quite so low as yours.

Video here...........

Atkinson.mp4 - YouTube

Don't know how to post video like you did...doesn't seem to be any instruction on how to do anywhere

Update I've ran my Atkinson a few hours and the rings are getting seated pretty good. It has become a pretty good runner and can idle way down and starts almost all the time with just a little flick of the fly wheel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUsfIq6Iy_0"]My Atkinson after a few hours of run time.[/ame]

Are these Listeroid type motors? Very cool little units. Thanks for sharing. Wish, the Listeroid where still around. Was trying to get one, then the EPA did that whole Tier II thing. Great job
    Take care,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SB123 View Post
    Are these Listeroid type motors? Very cool little units. Thanks for sharing. Wish, the Listeroid where still around. Was trying to get one, then the EPA did that whole Tier II thing. Great job
    Take care,
    Steve
    These engines are a bit different to the usual 4 stroke.

To begin with, they have linkages attached to the main crank which allow the four cycles of the 4 stroke to be completed in one revolution of the crankshaft. This then allows the cam to be fixed to the crankshaft, i.e. no requirement for 2 to 1 reduction gear drive.

The way in which the linkages and pivots are arranged allow for an "efficiency" system to come into play.

Power stroke and exhaust stroke are both "long".

Induction and compression strokes are "short".

i.e. piston moves different amounts for the type of stroke.

Quite an achievement for the times when no computers were available to calculate or simulate the actions, just an idea and a slide rule, pencil and paper.

Doc, if you plan to do the other engine, look very closely at any plan as there are problems with the designs. Very little compression ratio and timing just does not seem correct for the placement of the spark plug. Friend of mine is re-drawing plans and setting up on a simulated CAD to try to iron out the problems.