510,077 active members
2,938 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Does the LMS solid column conversion kit make a big difference?
Page 3 of 5 12345
    Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex-VA View Post
    Hello Troy, I'm not sure what your asking.

The new table is almost an inch wider and with cut out for the lead screw, I don't think it could be fit to the smaller/old saddle. I haven't measured it so I can't say for sure. Let me know if this answers your question.
    Tex
    It does indeed... thank you! I was expecting to have to make my own saddle, or buy one from the SX2 so that basically confirms it for me.

Thanks!
    Troy
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Gold Member

Strange way to advertise a metal product.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    "Solid" refers to the columns attachment to the base. It doesn't pivot like previous models.
    Hoss
    LMS probably should clean up their advertising because that isn't what I imagined when first reading their catalog and advertisements. It is a bit misleading in my mind.

Registered
    The question wasn't answered though. How much flex does the solid mount column have? Had plans to rebuild a pile of parts into a more robust mount of the flexi column, and an extension to the base for more Y. Buying the new style base and column would save a LOT of work if it is stout enough foe the original motor. The pile has sat sat long, the expense of the new design isn't that big an issue anymore.

Banned
    Email Chris Wood and ask?

Registered

Re: Does the LMS solid column conversion kit make a big difference?

So, I am going to bring this old thread back to the forefront. I came across this thread last night and it directly related to what I am trying to do.

Long story short, I ordered a Harbor Freight Seig X2 Clone mini mill (model 44991) back in May of this year. I am brand new to machining in general, but have done about 30 hours of research online to date so I am starting to learn the tricks of the trade just through reading and researching.

I have spent the past couple of months being busy mainly and am just now picking my mini mill back up for fitting it up and preparing everything for its first cut.

Now, I spent a whole bunch of time researching the Column Rigidity options I have with this mini mill. Well, a very long story short, I come to find out that I can fit the Little Machine Shop Part #4483 (Solid Column Conversion Kit, HiTorque Mini Mill - LittleMachineShop.com) Solid Column Conversion kit to my mini mill.

And, this is what this thread is all about.

Based on my reading on this subject, it looks like I will be able to fit my Harbor Freight X2 Clone to this Solid Column Conversion Kit....

Now! My question is this:

This morning I went and took the back plastic plate off the circuit board housing in the very back of the mini mill (my Harbor Freight Seig X2 clone one that is...). It appears as though there are 4 screws that hold the actual circuit board box to the back of the column. **ALSO! It appears to me that there are two screws attached to the top of the circuit board box (and still inside the circuit board box) that I think are used for grounding? This is a purely out of the box machine with no modifications to it as of now.

So! I am wondering if the Solid Column Conversion Kit (part # 4483) here is drilled and tapped for these 6 screws on the back of the Column?

My decision in purchasing this kit will be based on it having these 6 screw holes in place.

It appears to me that this kit was originally intended to fit with an SX2 mini mill and not really for the X2 clone like I have. So, I want to make sure the holes are in place in the column fro my X2 mill circuit box so I don't have to mess with setting up a grounding point and whatnot.

Photos would be most welcome if anybody has them!

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give me!

Great forum!

Gold Member

You want to do machining, but drilling and tapping 6 small screw holes is a potential deal-breaker??

Regards,
    Ray L.

Gold Member

Could you possibly post a photo of the X2 part/attachment that you are describing? I'm not sure that I am following your verbal description of the part.

I have the conversion column kit (which I have not yet installed) and so I should be able to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison9 View Post
    My decision in purchasing this kit will be based on it having these 6 screw holes in place.

It appears to me that this kit was originally intended to fit with an SX2 mini mill and not really for the X2 clone like I have. So, I want to make sure the holes are in place in the column fro my X2 mill circuit box so I don't have to mess with setting up a grounding point and whatnot.

Registered

Your kidding right?

You do understand the stock motor control board only puts out 90v to hobble the motor so it will not blow plastic drive gears, and as soon as you belt drive the x2, your going to be swapping out the stock motor controller and back box to a KBLC-19PM that put out 120v instead to run the motor to its full potential.

Gold Member

I was more surprised that you havent made a cut yet, have no machining experience but want a solid column.
    Did you read about the many people who successfully machine with their stock mills? No you didnt, because they are busy machining not talking about short comings.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Registered

He has a twin or clone named Sillythings- endless hand wringing over nothing.

Gold Member

Couldnt you use the existing mill to drill the 6 holes?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Couldnt you use the existing mill to drill the 6 holes?
    Or a simple hand-drill?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 3 of 5 12345