585,715 active members*
3,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V25 Engraving not creating proper toolpath

V25 Engraving not creating proper toolpath

Hey all,

Saw this problem before in my V25, reported it, later got the update, but problem is still there. When creating an engraving toolpath, it skips a lot of some letters and numbers. Screenshot is the text, and then text removed showing toolpath. Anyone else having this problem? Or could it be my pc? No one got back to me from Bobcad so I don't know if it was/is an issue. Trying the same text in V24 is no problem, works fine. It's only V25.

Is it one Font ,several,all?

It seems to be mainly the single line fonts, like Bobcads Gothic and Helv. A couple of the windows fonts worked ok, but are always double line fonts. I don't use those for engraving. Maybe it's just a bad couple of font files? Like I said it works fine in V24, but maybe they changed the fonts in V25? dunno

Here is the BoB Default Font,works fine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engraving.JPG  

I've noticed this issue as well and are not sure what's causing the problem. I would agree that some fonts BobCAD is not programming correctly. It just clearly skips some parts of the text.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Gothic and Helv do not work correct here either.

just tried the helvic
    there are double entitys and entitys lapping over each other
    when you remove the doubles, then they are not joined correctly
    if you need to use one of these fonts, they can be fixed with out
    to much trouble???? if needed really bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

This has been a long time problem with the engraving feature, IMO

See the attached file. This is not a BobCAD font or a Windows font. Well it could be, I extracted from a model from a customer but it is simple lines and arcs.

Every time I have a shape like a 9 or 6 or P or R, I have to edit the geometry to make sure none of it "touches it's self", lol. The leg of the capital R has to be slightly detached and even the round part where it loops around and intersects back into it's self (like P). I always have to fiddle with the endpoints to get it to come out right.

I really haven't fully tested V25 but I could give dozens of sample files where the engraving feature just tanks, in all versions since at least V22. What drives me insane is that it does 4 with no problems at all. I just can't figure the rhyme or reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    Trying the same text in V24 is no problem, works fine. It's only V25.

I just saw this part of your post. If you have a similar V24 file that worked with no issues, could you upload it? I seemed to remember I had the same problem, even with some of the BobCAD single stroke fonts, in V24. I don't use the BobCAD fonts much so I'm curious if it was a "just me" thing.

EDIT: Looking at your picture, I notice T works but Y doesn't. P does but R doesn't. It's all over the place but most of the letters and numbers that are missing are self-intersecting but not "cutting through" like Q, X, or 4

V24 ENGRAVE FILE

Certainly, here it is. I normally have used the single stroke BobCad fonts, simply because they are single stroke. Windows fonts all seem to be double stroke, and on the machined part that looks messy unless you are engraving .500" high letters or so. normally I'm engraving around .125" - .200" high. I showed 3 fonts in the file, self explanatory. Which fonts in V24 were you having issues with? I can try them here so you don't go mad thinking it's just you

Had to edit and add something I just noticed. The file I have attached here is fine in V24, but when I open it in V25 instantly the toolpaths are all messed up again. I did not recalculate toolpaths, they are just missing text again. To me that's pointing to Bobcad not the Font so much. Or perhaps its just a setting somewhere.
    Attached Files Attached Files

V25 issue

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    Certainly, here it is. I normally have used the single stroke BobCad fonts, simply because they are single stroke. Windows fonts all seem to be double stroke, and on the machined part that looks messy unless you are engraving .500" high letters or so. normally I'm engraving around .125" - .200" high. I showed 3 fonts in the file, self explanatory. Which fonts in V24 were you having issues with? I can try them here so you don't go mad thinking it's just you

Had to edit and add something I just noticed. The file I have attached here is fine in V24, but when I open it in V25 instantly the toolpaths are all messed up again. I did not recalculate toolpaths, they are just missing text again. To me that's pointing to Bobcad not the Font so much. Or perhaps its just a setting somewhere.
    TonyW

I think you are correct that it is BobCAD V25 and not the Fonts.

It certainly does appear to be a V25 only issue, I have run your fonts in both V24 and V23 and they toolpath correctly in both so I would say this is V25 specific.

Al, one for you I think

Regards

It isn't just V25.
    We engrave part numbers etc. on a regular basis.
    It happens in V23, V24 and V25 with the same fonts.

Some of it depends upon the font. For instance, if the text has a "." (period) it is usually composed of small line segments.
    Using the BobCAD Helv font vectorized, height 0.125", 0.250" and 0.375", the "." (period) will not toolpath at 0.125" but will at the larger sizes and they are small circles.
    The 4, A, and T will not toolpath completely at any size. The B, F, K, X and R will.
    It happens with the text vectorized or not.

It is annoying to have to edit the geometry all of the time, but you get used to what to look for.

argo

Issues with Fonts have been brought up before since at least V23(that's as far back as I go)Always figure ways to work around them,but issues never seem to be addressed.At the very least the BoB Fonts,one would think would be trouble free.I know there is much to fonts,different ways they are made that can cause issues.But BoBs own they ought to fix.

This issue is being looked in to, it's been reported and we hope to have a solution for everyone soon. Thank you everyone for your input, there is an inconsistency in results but we will get to the bottom of this.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    This issue is being looked in to, it's been reported and we hope to have a solution for everyone soon. Thank you everyone for your input, there is an inconsistency in results but we will get to the bottom of this.
    Great! Thanks Al!