585,902 active members*
5,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Parameter load help

I picked up a 1986 Mazak Quick Turn 20n a few days ago and just managed to get power to it this evening.

Much to my surprise.....the control booted up and the hydraulic pump created a small fountain in the front of the machine where the Hydraulic steady rest used to reside.

So I began to go through the procedures outlined in my parameter manual to reset the parameters since they were all out of whack.

I know nothing about this machine or control......so I may just be doing something wrong. I have a service bulletin and a parameter list with instructions on how to reload them.

When I try to begin changing the parameters by typing then pressing input......nothing happens.

There is a message on the input line that say "Return Home?" I don't know what to do with that....lol.

I followed the instructions about "if control refuses to let you change parameters"......Type in 1CB706....press input......but then it says to set the hex data associated with this to the value on the parameter sheet.

I cannot find this......the manual further says its usually 00 or 08. I tried both to no avail.

It says after doing this I should be able to clear memory. Is that another step, or should I just be able to change each parameter?

Where is the best place to find manuals about this machine?

Thanks,

Mike

"return home" just means you need to zero return the machine. do that and the message will disappear. if the machine works you should not need to adjust parameters.

The machine was said to work.....but it has been powered down for about a year.

Unfortunately zero return the machine means about as much as return home to me.

There is a NMI Emergency stop error as well.

I need specific instructions like "push this button, then push that button"....lol.

I have no experience with this control.

Mike

If you don't know what 'zero return' means then you *really* should not be messing with parameters.
    You may not have specific knowledge with that particular control but almost anyone who knows the basics of CNC machines can figure things out. If you have no idea what's going on I suggest you get assistance from someone local or in your workshop who knows the basics of CNC machines and can teach you one-on-one.

The NMI issue can be multiple things.
    Read this post for more info.....
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mazak_...ency_stop.html

The control has a keyswitch at the top that locks the control. Both positions of the switch read a closed contact.

I opened the switch by clipping one of the wires and I can now enter the proper parameters.......if I dare.

Perhaps I should try to find someone with more than my 17 years of cnc experience......typing in digits from a list sounds pretty complicated...... way tougher than the Studer S35 control retrofit I just completed.

17 years ago most machines had to be zero-returned before they would work and anyone working on a CNC machine back then would know that. In fact searching for 'how to zero return CNC machine' results in 0 hits here. i.e. no-one has ever asked that question on CNCzone so we can assume the concept is understood by CNC Machinists.
    Years of service is not the only deciding factor of knowledge/experience... it depends on what is being done. For example a person milling a flat on a piece of bar for 30 years may have 30 years experience but he only knows how to mill a flat on a piece of bar

For the point of future searches....

**How to Zero Return a CNC Machine**
    1. Jog/rapid the slide(s) away from the maximum travel position.
    2. Press the ZRN (or equivalent Zero Return) button.
    3. Press and hold the axis movement buttons (or joystick) to cause the slide(s) to move to the extremities of the machine's axis travel.
    4 When the movement stops that point is the Zero Return position and some lights on the panel will glow to show the machine is at the zero return position.

Also for the point of future searches.

1. A Mazak will not zero return if there is a NMI error.

2. The axis drives will not enable if this is the case.

3. Not all machines require the operator to manually move the axis to it's home switch. Many only require the push of a button or series of buttons.

4. While zero return may be a common term among some machines, its not necessarily universal.....home or reference is equally common.

5. Without some machine specific history, its initially difficult for a person to know the difference between a malfunctioning machine and operator error.

6. The $750.00 for the Mazak manual set seemed ridiculous at first, but turned out to be well worth it. I would have given that much just for the electrical schematics and ladder diagrams in hindsight.

7. practical machinist also has a great forum. I got a ton of great troubleshooting tips from a great bunch of guys when getting my electronics sorted out on my Mazak. Far better than Mazak tech, or Mitsubishi for that matter.

Mike