585,933 active members*
3,896 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Renishaw OTS failure ??

Our renishaw OTS is giving us problems. Had to replace the breakaway and re-level probe tip from a toolsetter problem with another worker. I went to do recalibrate program and it would not search or turn on green lights on OM-1. I tried a couple of times and then it would work. Then I went to set tool lengths and same thing happened and it would not communicate ( I think ). then finally I was able to set a tool. (using the M196 program). Then I had the same problems with the M198 offset tool program.

I have checked all the settings in the OTS. , batteries good and swapped anyway, changed optical settings, changed enhanced settings, cleaned windows, shut off worklight, turned off other machines near it. No change.
    Some times the OTS will be blinking green and then drop off. I have checked all probe programs with backups and no problems there.

My hunch is the OTS is bad but I can't tell. We have a Haas with same OTS but I don't know the recal program for them or I would steal one to see if it works.

Mazak 510 - Matrix.
    Eddie D
    Pokeyboy Machine

There could be an issue with the spindle orient position especially if you can physically feel vibration in the spindle.