584,858 active members*
4,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SuperCam/Taig Need help

I have an older Taig being pushed by a PS/2 machine with SuperCam software. I bought the whole setup used and am trying to learn to use it. The problem I have is that the software and the PC are a bit outdated. I like the Idea of the CAD/CAM software but it doen't offer a good part display of imported drawings. I wanted to upgrade the software to run on my newer XP machine but I guess SuperCam don't work with windows 2000 or XP (and apparently nobody at Super-tech answers emails either.

Anyway my questions for the more experienced are....
    What would you do to get this thing working in a more user friendly manner?
    all new software and PC? Upgrade the SuperCam software for the ancient PC I already have (running Windows98)?

Any advice you have is welcome.

Mach3 for machine control, hands down the best stuff out there for the money.

Thanks, I'll definately try that.....I know I considered it before but that must have been before I had the XP comp. I'm actually excited to get this thing going again. It was getting so frustrating that I was about to give up.

To use Mach 2/3 you need to upgrade the controller with the new step & direction board from Taig/Microproto Board , or buy Peter Homann's Turbo Taig board.

Taig is on vacation until the 3rd, but call them and tell them you want to upgrade - they may want to have you send the controller back unless you convince them you know what you are doing, electronically.

Quote Originally Posted by swartzhund
    I have an older Taig being pushed by a PS/2 machine with SuperCam software. I bought the whole setup used and am trying to learn to use it. The problem I have is that the software and the PC are a bit outdated. I like the Idea of the CAD/CAM software but it doen't offer a good part display of imported drawings. I wanted to upgrade the software to run on my newer XP machine but I guess SuperCam don't work with windows 2000 or XP (and apparently nobody at Super-tech answers emails either.

Anyway my questions for the more experienced are....
    What would you do to get this thing working in a more user friendly manner?
    all new software and PC? Upgrade the SuperCam software for the ancient PC I already have (running Windows98)?

Any advice you have is welcome.

Ah, see! There's always a catch! Thanks for the tip.

Ah, see! There's always a catch! Thanks for the tip.
    Oh and if you haven't already, join the taigtools yahoogroup most everyone with a Taig hangs out there, a lot of good info...

Cool, I'll check that out.

I think I have whatever controller Super-tech was packaging with the Taig mills in the late 90s. I'll have to check that out tonight. But I'm wondering if it makes a difference on the upgrade. Can I still use the same one?

Ahh, If you have the supertech controller I have no idea - you will have to get in touch with Dennis at Supertech...or ask on the taigtools group.

Cool, I'll check that out.

I think I have whatever controller Super-tech was packaging with the Taig mills in the late 90s. I'll have to check that out tonight. But I'm wondering if it makes a difference on the upgrade. Can I still use the same one?

Okay, I have a Quantum Instruments, Lambda Series 1000DX controller.
    Does anyone know if I can use Mach2/3 with that controller?
    Brian