585,761 active members*
4,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > glad to see a surfcam forum

glad to see a surfcam forum

i have run surfcam for years i think surfcam 5 was the version i learned cam on i surf the web quite a bit and haven't seen anything else on surfcam forum.i personal think surfcam is much better than any of the other cam softwares out there.i just had to start using mastercam for my new job and i hate it.if anyone ever needs any help with surfcam just give me a shout.

have a happy and safe new year.
    haascnc

haascnc,

I agree, Surfcam is great. I've been using it for some years. I really like Step Reduction Milling (SRM), and Velocity is going to be exciting when they get it and SRM working together. (Jan. - Feb. I hear) I don't believe anything will be able to touch it as far as roughing.

I did the Velocity (Truemill) test on a Haas VF-2, with a 1/2" 3 flute TiAln cutter, 1/2" depth of cut, 10,000 (max) RPM, and 400 inches per minute! It was awesome to watch. Edit: The material was 6061-T6 aluminum.

A good price on surfcam

Can anyone here tell me where the best place is to get the latest version on Surfcam?? I would like to purchace it this coming week!

Hi

What is the step over distance that you are using? Are you using air or coolant? What is the material?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJM
    Can anyone here tell me where the best place is to get the latest version on Surfcam?? I would like to purchace it this coming week!
    JJM, You can go to their web site and fill in the info for your area, and you can find the dealer nearest you. http://surfware.com/findsp.aspx

Also you can call them, and they'll be happy to locate a dealer for you.

1-800-787-3927)

Quote Originally Posted by camtd
    Hi

What is the step over distance that you are using? Are you using air or coolant? What is the material?

Thanks
    camtd, The software defaults to 120 degrees of cutter engagement, which is a 3/8" stepover for a 1/2" cutter. Of course, you can specify less.

The material was 6061-T6 aluminum (as I rememeber, I'll have to check), and yes, I used flood coolant.

When I get back to work, I'll post a web site that has some videos of the aluminum demo, and some steels too.

Regards

I've found in tool steels that velocity only works well with a bullnose cutter. Anytime I try to go fast for more than a few minutes it breaks the corners of the endmills. With bullnose carbide cutters I can go diameter deep, 70degree engagement, and .010 chipload in A-2. Not like the aluminium speeds, but still impressive to see.

I need some help with Surfcam. I have had to change computers due to a crash and now I need to get my post processor working again. I need to know how to activate one of the post already listed and also how to get my custom post to work. Which files to put where. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Exclamation

"AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

open (as a text file) your machine's file from the C/surfcam/postlib/mpost and select all and copy it. then open "postform m" and paste it there. it should show up in your list when you post in the operations manager. I only use surfcam for 3 axis milling, so I don't know if turning centers and other equipment is posted in the same manner. Copying the original postform M to you desktop for safe storage is a good precaution to take.

If you are at all unsure or shaky about doing this, then you should call your dealer to come out and do it. otherwise you will have to wipe out surfcam and reinstall (been there, done that!). Plus I don't want you to hold me responsible if you accidentally make a mistake.

Good luck,
    Chris

surfcam to mastercam

I need to import some sufcam files into mastercam.... anyone know how??

just the model, or the toolpaths?

Just the model, I would like to run my own toolpaths

Quote Originally Posted by Prop1
    Just the model, I would like to run my own toolpaths
    I'll assume you have access to Surfcam. Do a save as to the desktop or somewhere easy, and select .iges as the file type. At the top of the screen you will see some selection choices, i.e., select, select all, all in part, etc. (be sure you have all the layers you want to export visible). Select the geometry(intersect, and window around the model, or select visible, -----> Done.

Anyone care show me how to import toolpath from Surfcam to Mastercam.

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006
    Anyone care show me how to import toolpath from Surfcam to Mastercam.
    Not sure what you're asking here. I don't think you can export "toolpath" from one program to another. Do you mean send (export) geometry from Surfcam to Mastercam and then create the toolpath? You can do that by way of the iges transfer format. I used to do that for a Mastercam guy a lot when he had problems opening a file and wanted me to convert it for him. And the last question is why?

Like bill stated you can not bring tool pathes from another Cam software into mastercam unless it is a pror mastercam.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Tool paths from Surfcam to Mastercam

I can't say for sure, but you might be able to create an APT file for the toolpath and import it into Mastercam. I know Surfam can import and create APT, but not sure about Mastercam. APT is the only standard format for toolpath info that I know of (like IGES for geeometry), and I think it's your best bet.

Using Apt is not bring in the tool paths as this just another pre-step to posting.
    there are no way of sharing oparations from Surfcam to mastercam.

the closet I can say can get would to reverse post the Gcode and backplot it and save it as geo and then you have a little info in.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

does anyone know of a inexpencize program to convert bitmap to vector grafic file?
    pat