585,987 active members*
4,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Cutter comp on Y,Z axis, Star Swiss 20 with fanuc control.

Cutter comp on Y,Z axis, Star Swiss 20 with fanuc control.

I'm having trouble opening up a milled slot using the Y,Z axis on the machine. I'm using parts maker software and cutter comp, it does not seem to matter how much I comp the radius it does not change the width of the slot. I'm using a 1/4 carbide end mill, in a .406 wide slot. I tell it to compensate left but the post comes out with a G42 and rotates using C axis. I've even tried offsetting in the model and it still does not work. I over travel if I use the X axis, any suggestions?

Has the proper plane selection been chosen? On a star with the crosstools the codes are G117, G118, and G119. They function the same as G17,18,19 with the same respective axis', but the crosstools require the distinction.

That's the only reason I could see cutter comp not working. If your path is not using any arcs g2/g3 then it wouldn't throw an alarm.

Don't know too much about part maker as I program everything manually, but your post may not be up to snuff.

Since the Y axis is your plunge axis, (parallel to the central axis of rotation of the cutter I'm kinda of left wondering what bearing it has on the slot at all, unless with the C axis rotation you just want to keep the actual cutting position constant on the cutter.. rotating C you'd need to still move x up or down, just not as much.. and unless my mind is failing me you'd end up with tapered walls.

If it were me, id modify your X axis overtravel limit for the particular tool. They are set so that you don't smash an adjacent tool, but by no means are you at the true limit of the axis unless your tool is in the bottom or top positions. I've had to do it when milling flats because I was not able to come fully off the part without overtravelling.

Actually now that you mention it, I don't believe cutter comp works when you're using the C axis and another axis. It will work if you're in cylindrical or polar interpolation mode, but otherwise I don't think so..

Forgive me if I've misread anything, in any case my answer is to just modify those overtravel limits. If you're not so keen on it, then just remember to revert the values for the next job. Some OT limit changes will not stick after a powerdown too by the way. I had to change both the positive and negative limits, and the positive would always revert back to its initial value after the machine was powered down.

I'm going to try extending the X soft limits Monday. Thanks for that, I'm new to these star machines and had not even thought of that.

In the manual you should find the limit parameters under the soft OT section. It was somewhat hidden in my manuals, but should be near the frontish with the machine specs and the likes.

I do know they're in the 9000 range, and depending on the control model may actually say for what tool and what specific OT limit they are. So if you can't find em in the book you should be able to that way.

I wouldn't reccomend messing too much with parameters like if your at all uncomfortable with the idea. Your best bet is to actually give star a call and they'll direct you to the proper parameters if you can't find them by the two means I mentioned. They may ask you why you want to do that, I'm not sure why they do. I even had a tech ask me to send a drawing and my program to see if there was another way around.. i found it pretty rude and demeaning, just give me the answer I want!