586,013 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Scale feature

this is probably the first in many dumb general questions as I learn Solidworks. I'm a long time Rhino user exploring SW. I have SW2012.

Lets say I have a 2-D planar sketch of a guitar or some similar shape. I already know that I can scale the entire thing uniformly (i.e. in 2-D in this case).

Lets say the original drawing is 25 inches long and 12 inches wide. Now I scale the drawing so that the legth over all in 34 inches (this makes the length 34 and the width about 16.6 inches respectively based on the original 25X12 drawing).

Now I want to scale just the width to 15.5 inches without effecting the 34 inch length (i.e. a 1-D scale).

Is there a simple way to do this. I read something elsewhere about exploding the model and then scaling or is this only for a 3-D model or assembly?

thank you
    Steven
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Normally you would change the dimensions of your sketch to change the scale, however unless you dimension or lock down all the points on your splines you'll probably get something that doesn't look like you want it to. If you do a search for "working with splines" on the Solidworks forum (help box in SW) there is a video by Mark Biasotti that you might want to check out.

There is a scale feature that allow independant scaling of X,Y,Z. Uncheck the uniform scaling box. This works with surfaces and solids. You'll probably need to add it to your features toolbar through customize>commands>features. If need be then you can open a new sketch and convert entity (dupedge in rhino) to get edges. You would have to calculate the scale factors you want.