585,931 active members*
5,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Backing plate to mount chuck to 8" table?

Backing plate to mount chuck to 8" table?

Ok, exposing my ignorance (again)...

I got the 8" Tormach 4th axis kit/table, and also got the 5c collet chuck for it, but now need to mount some big stuff. I have an 8" plain back chuck I want to mount to the 8" table... Where do I get a backing plate for that, and does it have a particular name? (chuck is plain back, not d mount or anything)...

Since I already have several chucks, I'd prefer to just get some backing plate instead of more chucks....

I ebayed and can't seem to figure it out, but need to get setup ASAP, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Wink

Why don't you just buy a chunk of 1.25" material and make your own mounting plate.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Backing plate sources

Most of the usual suspects sell backing plates, both semi-machined and blank. Enco, for sure. Wholesale Tool, too. I've generally found that an unmachined plate is cheaper than buying big diameter stock from a local supplier (which is all it is- a slice off a bar, rough machined), but that's been for cast iron. I stick with CI for the lathe; here, I might use 7075 or Fortal aluminum just to help with the overall weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Most of the usual suspects sell backing plates, both semi-machined and blank. Enco, for sure. Wholesale Tool, too. I've generally found that an unmachined plate is cheaper than buying big diameter stock from a local supplier (which is all it is- a slice off a bar, rough machined), but that's been for cast iron. I stick with CI for the lathe; here, I might use 7075 or Fortal aluminum just to help with the overall weight.
    Thanks... I see that most of these use a chuck smaller than the table, but I'm trying to use both at the same size... On my old manual one, I just drilled and tapped holes in the table to mount the chuck (chuck had holes through the face), but would rather not drill the new table....

I used Aluminum tooling plate to mount 5C and 6" three-jaw to my 8"RT Alcoa Mold & Tooling Products -- Mic 6® Aluminum Cast Plate

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I used Aluminum tooling plate to mount 5C and 6" three-jaw to my 8"RT Alcoa Mold & Tooling Products -- Mic 6® Aluminum Cast Plate

Don Clement
    Thanks... In this case table and chuck are same diameter, so not so easy. I decided to just buy a 6" chuck and plate from Tormach and not jack around with it.... I can always sell off one of my "manual" tables.

Aluminum source

For those who may not know him, Scott Krezinski at fortal.biz sells a species of 7075-like Al which has some very nice properties, and machines like a dream.

Scott is a real gent, and a delight to buy from. If you need high strength aluminum alloy, check him out. Just leave the pieces I need in inventory!

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    For those who may not know him, Scott Krezinski at fortal.biz sells a species of 7075-like Al which has some very nice properties, and machines like a dream.
    I use tooling plate (not for its high strength- aluminum tooling plate is dead soft) for fixtures because without internal strain tooling plate keeps it dimensions after machining. BTW I was thinking of a plate the same size as the 8”RT between the 8” chuck and RT that the chuck bolts to. I have made two adapter plates from tooling plate one for a 5C chuck and another for a 6” 3jaw chuck.

Don Clement