584,879 active members*
5,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Powermax 45 for use on PlasmaCam Questions

Powermax 45 for use on PlasmaCam Questions

I beleive this question may be best suited for Jim but thought others may benefit from it as well so I am posting it openly.

I should recieve my New Powermax 45 with machine torch setup within 10 days and will be interfacing with my PlasmaCam DHC2 CNC table. I previously was using a Powermax 600 w/hand torch setup until it mysteriously died and too costly to repair. My questions are as follows:

1. I know I will have to come up with a new physical mount for the machine torch setup but is there a preferred system of attachment available for purchase somewhere for this? and will I have to modify it for Plasmacam use?

2. Is it possible to convert the extremely long machine torch barrel into the mini torch barrel that is available for the Powermax 65?

3. For use on the Plasmacam will I need to re-wire the Plasmacam supplied machine control cable that was previously attached to my PM600 unit? or will this new Powermax 45 with machine torch have such an animal already to go? If I need to re-wire is there some place I may find clear instructions on how to do this?
    4. Is there some great benefit to having the machine interface port as available on the PM65 and is not available on the PM45? Would my PlasmaCam even benefit from having such a port? or is this just future upgrade proofing the Powermax unit?
    5. I will be cutting 50% 16ga. HRS , 30% 1/8" HRS and 20% 1/4" HRS would I benefit from using Powermax 30 amp consumables or should I stick with the stock machine torch consumables supplied with the cutter when I get it?

I look forward to being productive and profitable once again with this new machine and will keep all posted of progress.

The best machine torch mount I have seen is the magnetic breakaway mount from SnapnCut Home Page . I use it on my DHC2 with my Powermax85. I will attach a picture of my setup.

There currently is no solution (from Hypertherm) to convert the long barrel of the Powermax45 machine torch to a mini-torch (like the Hypertherm Duramax torch). In my opinion...the long torch works just as well as the mini torch on the PlasmaCam machines as the leads go up to a centered boom on the machine. On machines with a powertrack for leads...the mini torch may be better for lead management. If you want a shorter torch mounting sleeve...it likely would not be too difficult to modify the one that will come with your 45...

The Powermax45 has a CPC connector on the rear panel....which requires a mating plug / cable. The way the PlasmaCam is interfaced: Two wires for the start signal (the black/white pair on the existing PlasmaCam cable) are the start input for the plasma...they connect to pins 3 and 4 on the CPC interface connector. The other two wires on the PlasmaCam cable must be wired directly into the power supply...connecting to terminals on the main control board. The terminal marked J19 is negative (-) and connects to the red wire from the black/red pair (existing PlasmaCam cable), J21, positive (+) connects to the black wire from the black red pair. That is all that is required for the interface.

The difficulty....the connector that mates up to the CPC connector has pins that require crimping with a special tool.....and the connector does not come with the Powermax. You can buy the connector, the strain relief and the 2 required crimp pins, or you can buy a cable (25' long) that has the connector on one end and bare wires on the other. I normally have the connectors in my home shop stock....I can sell you a connector with a short pigtail with the two start connections if you choose that route...this would save you trying to crimp and insert the pins without the correct tools. Their also is a .pdf file with instructions for making the internal connections (tells how to route the wires, how to remove the power supply cover for access, etc.). If you send me a note to my email, [email protected] I can send that file to you.

All powermax45's have the CPC interface port...it is optional on the Powermax65, 85 and 105.

I too have a 45, and the Powermax65,85 and 105 all cut (with their 45 amp consumables) just like the 45. I would use strictly the 45 amp consumables for all of your cutting needs.

Hope this helps out.

Best regards, Jim Colt

And....thanks from all of the Hypertherm employee owners for purchasing another Hypertherm system!

Quote Originally Posted by mjbdesigns View Post
    I beleive this question may be best suited for Jim but thought others may benefit from it as well so I am posting it openly.

I should recieve my New Powermax 45 with machine torch setup within 10 days and will be interfacing with my PlasmaCam DHC2 CNC table. I previously was using a Powermax 600 w/hand torch setup until it mysteriously died and too costly to repair. My questions are as follows:

1. I know I will have to come up with a new physical mount for the machine torch setup but is there a preferred system of attachment available for purchase somewhere for this? and will I have to modify it for Plasmacam use?

2. Is it possible to convert the extremely long machine torch barrel into the mini torch barrel that is available for the Powermax 65?

3. For use on the Plasmacam will I need to re-wire the Plasmacam supplied machine control cable that was previously attached to my PM600 unit? or will this new Powermax 45 with machine torch have such an animal already to go? If I need to re-wire is there some place I may find clear instructions on how to do this?
    4. Is there some great benefit to having the machine interface port as available on the PM65 and is not available on the PM45? Would my PlasmaCam even benefit from having such a port? or is this just future upgrade proofing the Powermax unit?
    5. I will be cutting 50% 16ga. HRS , 30% 1/8" HRS and 20% 1/4" HRS would I benefit from using Powermax 30 amp consumables or should I stick with the stock machine torch consumables supplied with the cutter when I get it?

I look forward to being productive and profitable once again with this new machine and will keep all posted of progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pics 013.jpg  

Thanks Jim,
    I sent a message to your direct e-mail as I know your always busy but I would be interested in buying a pigtail if you would have one and also a copy of the pdf file for installation info? Can't beleive how small the PM45 is compared to the old 600... Hard to beleive you get capacity and quality improvements in a smaller package but for $2500 I sure hope so..
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The best machine torch mount I have seen is the magnetic breakaway mount from SnapnCut Home Page . I use it on my DHC2 with my Powermax85. I will attach a picture of my setup.

There currently is no solution (from Hypertherm) to convert the long barrel of the Powermax45 machine torch to a mini-torch (like the Hypertherm Duramax torch). In my opinion...the long torch works just as well as the mini torch on the PlasmaCam machines as the leads go up to a centered boom on the machine. On machines with a powertrack for leads...the mini torch may be better for lead management. If you want a shorter torch mounting sleeve...it likely would not be too difficult to modify the one that will come with your 45...

The Powermax45 has a CPC connector on the rear panel....which requires a mating plug / cable. The way the PlasmaCam is interfaced: Two wires for the start signal (the black/white pair on the existing PlasmaCam cable) are the start input for the plasma...they connect to pins 3 and 4 on the CPC interface connector. The other two wires on the PlasmaCam cable must be wired directly into the power supply...connecting to terminals on the main control board. The terminal marked J19 is negative (-) and connects to the red wire from the black/red pair (existing PlasmaCam cable), J21, positive (+) connects to the black wire from the black red pair. That is all that is required for the interface.

The difficulty....the connector that mates up to the CPC connector has pins that require crimping with a special tool.....and the connector does not come with the Powermax. You can buy the connector, the strain relief and the 2 required crimp pins, or you can buy a cable (25' long) that has the connector on one end and bare wires on the other. I normally have the connectors in my home shop stock....I can sell you a connector with a short pigtail with the two start connections if you choose that route...this would save you trying to crimp and insert the pins without the correct tools. Their also is a .pdf file with instructions for making the internal connections (tells how to route the wires, how to remove the power supply cover for access, etc.). If you send me a note to my email, [email protected] I can send that file to you.

All powermax45's have the CPC interface port...it is optional on the Powermax65, 85 and 105.

I too have a 45, and the Powermax65,85 and 105 all cut (with their 45 amp consumables) just like the 45. I would use strictly the 45 amp consumables for all of your cutting needs.

Hope this helps out.

Best regards, Jim Colt

And....thanks from all of the Hypertherm employee owners for purchasing another Hypertherm system!

I am in Montana this week on vacation....if you contact me at my direct email next Monday....I'll fill you in on the details.

Jim Colt

Jim,
    Had not recieved pdf installation file as yet but think I have it figured out except for the actual pin locations on the pendant quick connect plug interface. How do I tell what or where #3 and #4 are located inrelation to plug pins? Would there be a diagram of this available?
    I actually have both a new plasmacam interface cable and a new Hypertherm interface cable just not sure which to use or a combination of both?
    Im thinking of just using the Plasmacam cable but I hate to drill a hole thru the back of the PM45 if I do not have to.

Matt,

Sorry I did not get back to you…had a lot of catching up to do after a week off!

I just sent you (direct email) the .pdf file that shows where to connect the Black / Red pair from the PlasmaCam cable….you have to knock out the hole and install a strain relief for the wiring in order to do this…the wires connect as follows (Make sure you have the Black/Red pair from the supplied PlasmaCam cable)….Black (Positive) to screw terminal J21 on the circuit board, Red (negative) to terminal J19 on the circuit board.

The start signal wires are the white / black pair from the PlasmaCam cable….they connect to pins 3 and 4 on the CPC…..the pin out is in your operators manual…I have attached it here as well.

These two are not polarity dependant…so it does not matter which one gets connected. If you have the Hypertherm cable…connect the white /black pair from the PlasmaCam cable to the Green/Black pair on the Hypertherm cable.

With the newer Powermax65, 85 and 105…all of the connections can be made on the CPC connector….with the 45 only the start can be connected there…the two Raw Voltage signals must go directly to the board.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by mjbdesigns View Post
    Jim,
    Had not recieved pdf installation file as yet but think I have it figured out except for the actual pin locations on the pendant quick connect plug interface. How do I tell what or where #3 and #4 are located inrelation to plug pins? Would there be a diagram of this available?
    I actually have both a new plasmacam interface cable and a new Hypertherm interface cable just not sure which to use or a combination of both?
    Im thinking of just using the Plasmacam cable but I hate to drill a hole thru the back of the PM45 if I do not have to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cpcpinouts.png