585,758 active members*
4,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Just a little Question

Hello Everyone,

First of all i would like to thank you for reading and answering my question if you do either.

Also i hope this is posted in the right place if not could you let me know where i should post it and i will do so, Thanks

the question i have is i am building a router and i used 2 bits of 63mmx38mm by 2mm wall box section on my gantery.

it is setup so there is one 63mm high beam a 63mm gap then a 63mm high beam and the 38mm is front to back.

the problem i have is that in the middle it flexes front to back on the 38mm sides as it is about 1800mm long, and i am wondering on peoples opitions on how to make it stronger to stop this flexing.

i have had a couple of thoughts as below but if anyone else can think of anything that would be great it you could let me know and i'll see what i think.

My first thought was i work for a laser profile company so i'd cut a 10mm thick plate and put it sideways in there, this worked in my head but when trying to slide said plate into tube it jammed up and stuck, so tried to grind a bit off but then it was to "Sloppy", so think i might flag this idea.

Second thought is to concreate fill/ fill the box section with something to stiffen it up, this adds to the weight which is not what i'd like but i guess strength over weight is better.

Any thoguht from anyone would be good thanks and if you have got this far thanks for reading.

William

you always give up lighter weight for better structural strength IMHO

If I am understanding you correctly it sounds like you need to add some T'ed supports to stiffen the unit up some

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah i probaly do but rying to find something that will fit inside what i'm using is like trying to find hens teeth, but yeah i'll keep on looking and also see if anyone else has any ideas.

On a side note where would i be able to buy this stuff and what does it look like?? I think i know what you are on about but just wanting to confirm.

Thanks

William