585,982 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm HPR260XD

I have a brand new HPR260XD 260A HD plasma cutter, it's attached to a 5x10' waterjet table (plasma/waterjet combo)

The guys I bought the machine from are completely useless and I've been left entirely on my own. I've got the waterjet pretty much figured out but the plasma is a whole nother' deal.

Is anyone else running a cutter this big? What sort of edge finish can I expect on 1/2" 304 stainless using H35? What sort of dross or burr should I expect? Are the cut settings in the hypertherm manual fairly accurate?

I only ask to judge what I was originally told by the salesman (chair)

Is there a universal g-code for turning off torch height control? I'm pretty sure my machine's auto height adjustment is messed up because the torch raises 1/2-3/4" off the plate after the pierce. I can't decide if it's the hypertherm control causing the problem or the machine controller, but I'd bet a nickel on the latter...

Thanks guys!

There are many users in the world (around 15,000) that use the Hypertherm HPRXD plasma system in configurations from 130 to 800 amps. It is the most popular industrial duty high definition class plasma system in the world.

On stainless steel, 1/2" thick....using the H35/nitrogen process you will have a shiny, weldable edge with little or no dross. To do this...you follow all of the cutting specifications as listed in the Hypertherm operators manual. Years of engineering and process expertise (and many tons of metal cut) were spent developing the cut specs in Hypertherms process engineering labs.

A combination waterjet/plasma machine is relatively rare.....and I notice you do not supply any info regarding the OEM builder of the machine. If you can provide me more details.....I would be happy to help get you running with the plasma. The two processes (water jet and plasma) complement themselves well....the plasma will provide extremely high speed cutting with accuracies that will fit 95% of your needs on metals up to about 1.5"...the waterjet is good for other materials...or for those parts that cannot tolerate a thermally affected edge.

Let me know:

-cutting machine make, model and size
    -what cnc controller is on the machine
    -height control make and model
    -CAM software and or motion software being used
    -Is the HPR260XD an auto gas or manual gas version.

With this info...I'll be happy to get you running!

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacg5 View Post
    I have a brand new HPR260XD 260A HD plasma cutter, it's attached to a 5x10' waterjet table (plasma/waterjet combo)

The guys I bought the machine from are completely useless and I've been left entirely on my own. I've got the waterjet pretty much figured out but the plasma is a whole nother' deal.

Is anyone else running a cutter this big? What sort of edge finish can I expect on 1/2" 304 stainless using H35? What sort of dross or burr should I expect? Are the cut settings in the hypertherm manual fairly accurate?

I only ask to judge what I was originally told by the salesman (chair)

Is there a universal g-code for turning off torch height control? I'm pretty sure my machine's auto height adjustment is messed up because the torch raises 1/2-3/4" off the plate after the pierce. I can't decide if it's the hypertherm control causing the problem or the machine controller, but I'd bet a nickel on the latter...

Thanks guys!

hypertherm 260 xd taper cutting

Dear Jim,
    i have 260 XD Hypertherm , we found that in above 24 mm taper cutting is there MS Material.. around 2mm taper found if we measure in both end. say upper side is 24mm then down side is 26 mm ( in width ) .i hv 200amp cosumable for these cutting & setting are done as per manual . using air with oxygen for ms cutting.
    Can u pleaase guide.........
    Thanks

Plasma cutting always produces a kerf that is wider at the bottom as compared to the top. The swirling of gas in the HPR260 torch is used to bias the taper to one side....so there is a good side and a bad side to the cut. When the torch is cutting into a plate....moving away from you...the left side will have more angularity as compared to the right side....the left side is the bad side, the right side is the good side. When cutting a ring....the inside diameter should always be cut counter clockwise and the outside diameter cut clockwise...this puts the good side of the plasma cut on both ID and OD of the ring.

Cut edge angularity is controlled somewhat by cutting speed, and even more so by cut height. If the torch is too far from the plate...the edge angularity will be more severe.

Make sure yoiu are cutting in the correct direction...and ensure that the cut speed and cut height are as suggested in the operators manual.

Best regards, Jim colt

Quote Originally Posted by Arun Sonwane View Post
    Dear Jim,
    i have 260 XD Hypertherm , we found that in above 24 mm taper cutting is there MS Material.. around 2mm taper found if we measure in both end. say upper side is 24mm then down side is 26 mm ( in width ) .i hv 200amp cosumable for these cutting & setting are done as per manual . using air with oxygen for ms cutting.
    Can u pleaase guide.........
    Thanks

HPR 260 TAPER CUTTING

JIM,
    Thanks for ur replay ...
    i taken trail with 130A on 14 mm MS Plate for 25mm Hole same problem i observed say upper side was 26mm & down side was 24 mm means total taper is 2mm which is not accepted for my job.
    We always follows your guidelines as per below :

the inside diameter should always be cut counter clockwise and the outside diameter cut clockwise...this puts the good side of the plasma cut on both ID and OD of the ring.

for pressure & cutting speed .... we are using 03 machines from last 05 years ... so i don't worry about that..
    let me know what i should check .....

waiting for your replay ....
    Thanks

Arun,

Hypertherm have a PDF download on improving hole cut quality.

One thing that another cnc manufacturer suggested in addition to what is suggested in that PDF publication, is to lower the cut height when doing the holes. They said this causes cut to flare out more at the bottom and help counteract the taper. The PDF will explain about reducing cut speed, turning off THC, types of lead-in, etc.

Keith

HYPERTHERM 260 WITH MESSER CONTROLLER

I HV ONE PROBLEM WHENEVER WE CUT THE PLATE SOME TIMES AT TIME OF PIERCING OPERATOR CONSOLE'S POWER GET OFF . I OBSERVERED THIS PROBLEM MANY TIMES .WHEN WE AGAIN MAKE IT THEN M/C START RUNNING .

I HV HYPERTHERM 260 WITH THC

PL. SUGGEST SOLUTION.....

THNX

What is powering off? Is it the operators console on your CNC machine...or is it one of the operators panels for the Hypertherm plasma? What make and model cnc machine are you using? Need more information!

Jim Colt

I HV ONE PROBLEM WHENEVER WE CUT THE PLATE SOME TIMES AT TIME OF PIERCING OPERATOR CONSOLE'S POWER GET OFF . I OBSERVERED THIS PROBLEM MANY TIMES .WHEN WE AGAIN MAKE IT THEN M/C START RUNNING .

I HV HYPERTHERM 260 WITH THC

PL. SUGGEST SOLUTION.....

THNX

THANX JIM
    FOR REPLAY ...

I HV HPR 260 CONNECTED WITH MESSER CNC CONTROLLER WITH THC & MANUAL GAS CONSOLE

SOME TIMES AT THE TIME OF PIERCING CNC CONTROLLER MESSER ( OPERATOR'S CONSOLE ) GETTING OFF MEANS SYSTEM SHUT DOWN , OR MAY BE POWER OFF . I NEED TO RESTART OPERATOR CONSOLE , REST ALL ( HPR, M/C PANEL , THC ARE GOING ON ) ARE WORKING CONDITION .

AT THE TIME OF PIERCING ONLY THIS PROBLEM OCCURS .

THANKS

Sounds like an electrical noise issue that may be caused by the high frequency starting. I suggest contacting Messer to solve the problem.

Jim Colt

THANX JIM
    FOR REPLAY ...

I HV HPR 260 CONNECTED WITH MESSER CNC CONTROLLER WITH THC & MANUAL GAS CONSOLE

SOME TIMES AT THE TIME OF PIERCING CNC CONTROLLER MESSER ( OPERATOR'S CONSOLE ) GETTING OFF MEANS SYSTEM SHUT DOWN , OR MAY BE POWER OFF . I NEED TO RESTART OPERATOR CONSOLE , REST ALL ( HPR, M/C PANEL , THC ARE GOING ON ) ARE WORKING CONDITION .

AT THE TIME OF PIERCING ONLY THIS PROBLEM OCCURS .

THANKS

THANKS,
    I HAD WORD WITH MESSER PERSON . THEY ASK ME TO PROVIDE SPECIAL EARTHING FOR TORCH & ISOLATION FOR CUTTING TORCH ,BUT ISSUE NOT RESOLVE ....
    I AGREE THE PROBLEM RELATED TO NOISE OR HIGH FREQUENCY RELATED WITH CUTTING .....

IT IS BETTER FOR ME IF YOU SUGGEST REMEDIES .....

THNX....

I suggest an earth ground....and isolating the torch leads as well. There are suggestions for the proper methods of grounding in your Hypertherm manual. The electrical noise is generated in the high frequency start box...and travels through the torch leads. If the metalic sheath of the torch leads is near any motor or drive or controller cables....there is a high probability of electrical noise. The leads can be enclosed inside a plastic sleeve....and should be routed away from all other cables.

Jim

THANKS,
    I HAD WORD WITH MESSER PERSON . THEY ASK ME TO PROVIDE SPECIAL EARTHING FOR TORCH & ISOLATION FOR CUTTING TORCH ,BUT ISSUE NOT RESOLVE ....
    I AGREE THE PROBLEM RELATED TO NOISE OR HIGH FREQUENCY RELATED WITH CUTTING .....

IT IS BETTER FOR ME IF YOU SUGGEST REMEDIES .....

THNX....