586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Mach motor tuning

Hi, I have a homemade router with Mach 3. It was running reasonably well, however I decided to upgrade it. I replaced the Y axis lead screw with a 1/2 x10 acme lead screw, nut, bearings and stepper motor etc. I adjusted the settings in the motor tuning section for the Y and this axis runs perfectly but now I cannot get the X and Z axis to work, they will hum and sometimes jerk but nothing else. I did not touch the settings for these axis. Any ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks
    Terry
    Regards, Terry Howson

Too much friction. It is stuck. Are the shafts free to turn with the power off, like the Y is?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for the reply neilw20, the shafts etc are free, the only thing I changed was the Y axis with a larger stepper motor and lead screw. The three axis were working fine before the update to the Y axis, if I turn the X and Z axis by hand then retry them, they will sometimes move a short distance then quit. Weird.
    Terry
    Regards, Terry Howson

Measure your supply voltage, then hook up the old Y stepper and measure again.
    Looks like the larger motor is putting more demand on the power supply.
    Just a best guess here. Could be a bad guess.
    Try disconnecting power to the Y driver and see if the X and Z recover.
    Measure supply voltage before and after.
    Did you change settings on the Y driver? Possibly.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks again neil, does the larger stepper I installed on the Y axis draw power while idle? As this is the only change I have made you might be rite on with the power. I have the hobby cnc pro board with the power supply they recommend and as I said it did run all three axis before changing the stepper on the Y.
    Terry
    Regards, Terry Howson

Steppers draw power whether moving or stopped.
    Some drivers reduce the current to about half when stationary, and it is an option in most cases.