586,011 active members*
4,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > When designing and building table, how to make accurate??

When designing and building table, how to make accurate??

Ive looked around at alot of router table builds and some of them i have no idea how they are even remotely accurate. Im incorporating adjustments in my gantry but that wont solve any dips or high spots in the table, i was thinking about making my table top out of 2 layers of 3/4" hdf and then after i have it dialed in as close as possible i would just mill the entire surface of the table. If i could afford it i would make the top out of cast iron ground tool plate, but i dont have bajillions of dollars for that...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames1981 View Post
    Ive looked around at alot of router table builds and some of them i have no idea how they are even remotely accurate. Im incorporating adjustments in my gantry but that wont solve any dips or high spots in the table, i was thinking about making my table top out of 2 layers of 3/4" hdf and then after i have it dialed in as close as possible i would just mill the entire surface of the table. If i could afford it i would make the top out of cast iron ground tool plate, but i dont have bajillions of dollars for that...
    Many here use mdf or such and mill or surface the table flat, or more accurately, normal relative to the x-y axes...

For cheap DIY gigs, make as good as you can (good = stiff, high quality motion components, squared up axis). Then as you said, dial indicator it in using a precision machined part with flat right angle surfaces on all three axis then adjust as necessary. machining might knock your machine off again, but again nothing you can do short of getting a good foundation which may require more cash