584,837 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Wondering what to do.

Hi all, well i'm new to cnc and have started to build my own setup and what got me started was spotting a cnc set up at the recycling center by my home. I talked to them and i got the whole set up ( a locale outfit had dumped it off). When i got everything home i found that it was a cnc bandit 1 that was set up for just the x and y axis with a laser for the cutting. Now my question is i have re-used and modified it to be a three axis gantry style router and i have the bandit controller and dont know what to do with it.Do i just scrap it and start fresh or is there some retro fitting that can be done to make it a 3 axis controller. Is there any way to use the driver boards out of it ? they appear to be run by a flat 16 pin ribbon cable is there a bob or some other controller that these would work with? I would like to use a pc to run everything instead of entering everything manually. Any help would be appreciated.

Just my opinion, but it would not be worth the time or effort.

+1 on dumping the Bandit.
    If you have the basic machine and motors, look at a simple cheap retrofit, you have most of the cost covered probably?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

That's kind of what i thought i would hear but i wanted a second opinion, so thank you guys for your input. I have pretty much everything else as the machine i picked up had linear rails and ball screws and stepper motors and all that good stuff. As far as the laser part of it that will be further down the road after i get the router going, plus i have a lot of research to do on laser's before i even want to try that road.

Want another opinion from someone who had a Bandit that died and found out what it would take to fix it, and still be stuck with its limitations?

Dump it.