585,717 active members*
4,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Can anyone make me this part or know where I can find it? 30mm ID pipe. 2mm wall
Page 1 of 2 12

Can anyone make me this part or know where I can find it? 30mm ID pipe. 2mm wall

I need a bunch of these made preferably in steel. I have a bunch of wheel bearings that are 32mm ID that need to fit on a hub with a 30mm OD. Does anyone think this is the best way to get them to fit? Just want to avoid any squeaking, alignment issues etc.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I need 3 of them upfront for R&D and then will need about 500 pcs if it works.

Why not get bearings with the correct ID?

It is feasible to make sleeves to adapt a bearing to a smaller shaft but if you are talking about 500 units it is probably more efficient to get bearings that fit the shaft or make shafts to fit the bearings.

If you absolutely have to go the route of adapting large bearings to a smaller shaft instead of using a long sleeve that spans two bearings (which is what I gues your length does) simply use two shorter sleeves to accommodate single bearings.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The problem is I already have these 500 bearings and they are scrap metal unless I could get them to work on an a 30mm shaft. The sleeve only spans 1 bearing. I am just concerned with quality issues since it will be rubbing metal against metal.

Heres a pic to give a better idea =

I misunderstood, you are talking about sleeve bearings. When you have one piece rotating on another the ideal situation is to have two different materials. The question now becomes; what material is your hub and what material is your shaft?

The hub I am thinking is iron, not sure about the shaft, steel or iron maybe? I am wondering if it is well greesed if it will cause the friction issue.

Your shaft will be steel but the hub could be cast iron or steel. Cast iron rotating on steel is okay provided it has good lubrication. Steel rotating on steel is not good because it can seize up.

You may have got lucky having the two parts different sizes requiring a sleeve between them because you can make the sleeve out of a suitable material that will work with both steel or cast iron. Your easiest choices are brass, or bronze or a plastic such as nylond or Delrin. What kind of load and speed are you using? Brass/bronze would be best for high loads at any speed, plastic best for low loads. For the size of shaft and hub you have 'high' could be many thousands of kilograms at a low speed with low being a couple of thousand kilograms.

They should support up to 300kmh to be on the safe side even though actual use shouldn't be over 200kmh. I am guessing brass or bronze would be the best bet then, anyone know where I can get a couple of these made to try it out?

What do you mean by this: They should support up to 300kmh... ?

km is the abbreviation for kilometer.

h is the abbreviation for hour.

kmh makes no sense.

km/h (or kph) means kilometers per hour and if this is what you mean, 300 kilometers per hour, your design is totally inadequate.

sorry yes I meant km/h. so this design won't work with that kind of speed? do i have any other options?

What are you building? 200km/h is very fast. For this kind of speed you need properly engineered shafts and hubs with proper wheel bearings. I think your only option is to consult with someone involve in automobile engineering, you are outside my experience zone.

it is going on a car, and cars can go 200km/h.

Correct and cars that can go 200km/h have rather fancy wheels, hubs and axles with fairly good quality ball or roller bearings. Sleeve bearings are simply nowhere near good enough.

Quoting the OP here "I have a bunch of wheel bearings that are 32mm ID".
    The part you labelled "Hub" in the 3d drawing, does this item contain a bearing as your OP suggests?

The bearing is already pressed into the hub. Is anyone able to build a couple of these on a lathe for me so I can test them first hand? Just name the price.

wt is it used for

Maybe these pictures will help explain what I am trying to do.

Its going on a nissan 240sx. They top out at 180km/hr I believe. I just need something to make this 32mm bearing fit on the 30mm spindle without causing problems.

it looks rusty

it migthcost more than buying another bearing..

if something fail, and customer get hurt by a lost wheel, you can endingup in prison in worst situation..

even it dont looking rigth now, the cheapest is to buy the proper bearing..

even you find someone makes it, it will be very costly you..
    to assembling that tiny sleve also require some wellequipped shop..

two way to assembling somethinglike this, one of to heating up first the sleve,next the bearing about 100 celsius deg.. so they can expanding as much you can assembly easy..

another way is skf has some type of oilinjector.. you can press oil between surfaces.. to assembling..

Wow. The entertainment value here is amazing. Be sure to make video of this and upload for people to laugh at for years to come. Why are you trying to adapt hubs from one vehicle to fit another? Just buy the correct bearings. It will be cheaper and safer in the long run since obviously you do not know what you are doing. And no, know we know you are not about to do this 60+ times. You want it for one car modification.

Page 1 of 2 12