584,846 active members*
4,447 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > changing solid face color
Page 1 of 2 12

changing solid face color

running mc10 mu2. importing .sldprt file extensions for solids.

i tried using the set solid face color, still does nothing for me.
    recently upgraded and it reset my config file. does anyone know the option that allows to chnge solid colors after import? trying to mask and make my life easier btw wireframe changes no problem thanks in advance

bleh i meant to say using mcx6 mu2

Do you mean you wish to change the Solid Face Select color when a face is selected? Or do you wish to change the color of the solid model itself?

change the color of a face on the solid model. tried the highlight and right click over color pallet as well still nada. wondering if the model is uneditable?

This answer was removed because SUPERMAN says that it is incorrect. Refer all future MasterCam questions directly to him.

got it someone had shade settings different. using a certain color not entity colors. thanks for help back to masking i go. 3d highspeed smoother sometimes then containment in tight spaces rather check a certain color and drive off another.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    The solid model can only be changed in its entirety. Not able to change a single face color. To change the entire model color, click the model and press F4 key. Click the color pallet. Click the new color desired. Click ok. Sometimes you will need to refresh or click the Clear colors icon to see the change.
    Tx,
    The ability to alter solid face colors has been available since X5

I believe you are running & instructing using X3, this is the most disasterous version ever released by CNC Solutions, it was a very short-lived release.

If you are wanting to give correct directions to PPL that have a later release than yourself, I do suggest you upgrade to learn & be able to give that correct instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Tx,
    The ability to alter solid face colors has been available since X5

I believe you are running & instructing using X3, this is the most disasterous version ever released by CNC Solutions, it was a very short-lived release.

If you are wanting to give correct directions to PPL that have a later release than yourself, I do suggest you upgrade to learn & be able to give that correct instruction.
    Tell you what I will do. I will just leave YOU to giving the only possible correct answers to these guys.

Sorry guys, you need to message SUPERMAN specifically for all of the MasterCam answers. He is the only one that knows anything about it. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_Phil View Post
    running mc10 mu2. importing .sldprt file extensions for solids.
    i tried using the set solid face color, still does nothing for me.

recently upgraded and it reset my config file. does anyone know the option that allows to chnge solid colors after import? trying to mask and make my life easier btw wireframe changes no problem thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_Phil View Post
    bleh i meant to say using mcx6 mu2
    Tx,
    He did state he was using X6 & had problems with the "Solid face colors", but your comments were to belittle his query, by saying, "Not able to change a single face color".

Sorry if you are offended when being corrected. Not a good sign from an "instructor".
    My comments were to highlight (to you & others) that there have been significant changes that have occured since X3, & this "solid face color" change function being one of them.

thanks for all you help. with 16 different machinists in a prototype shop you get to see alot of different approaches and options selected lol. again thanks for your time

txcncman, you are helpful but I have to say sense you refuse to learn the newer stuff some of your answers are out dated and the software has changed allot.

Like your thought to change a color of a solid or any entity you can use the F4 but the first would be to right click on color then select the solid and then pick the color ,unless you want to preselect then it will prompted for new color.

Bottom line is keep helping as you have allot to offer but there is going to be time that I have to say this not true like in the past just because the software has changed.

PS I did offer you the X6 HLE so you could play and learn some of the new stuff.
    guys have a great day and thank you both for your help on this forum.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Re: changing solid face color

[QUOTE=cadcam;1157627]Like your thought to change a color of a solid or any entity you can use the F4 but the first would be to right click on color then select the solid and then pick the color ,unless you want to preselect then it will prompted for new color. QUOTE]

I'm using X9 & 2018 and the Set Solid Feature Color still doesn't work.

In X9, the only time I see the color I selected is when the mouse hovers over the solid. But that's the only time I see the color. When the mouse is off the solid, it reverts back to the original color it was. The Entity Attribute Manger is off.

In 2018 when the mouse hovers over the solid it does not show the color I selected. It shows the original color.

2018 does not even have the option to Set Solid Feature Color. So there is clearly something wrong with color that CNC Software can't figure out how to get it to work so they removed it.

The only way I found to change the color in Mastercam is to Modify Solid Face Color, which is time consuming & inefficient, or modify the color in the original software package (if you have it), which is also inefficient and can get really expensive just to change colors to be able to clearly see geometry quickly.

Does anyone know of any way that I clearly may have missed ? There's got to be a way. Please... someone???

the option do work. there sounds like there is an issue maybe how you are setting them or a Video card if you have to hover over the model to see he color changes.
    As for feature it is there . now if you made the model in MC 2018 then go into Model prep and select that feature option set color and either pick a face of a feature or go to the Solid Mannger and pick a feature.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I see it now. It says Set Feature. I was looking for Set Feature Color. I tried it and it still doesn't work.The model is from a customer. We do have SolidWorks 2018 but they don't use it. It's sent to use as a .STEP and because they have a complicated departmental structure to go thru, they won't cooperate to change it. :-(

This video card is recommended by both software packages and all other graphics features work in both. There must be something else wrong.

so what is not working when you select that option it picks the whole model and changes all the faces?

What do you expect to happen when you do this option?
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    so what is not working when you select that option it picks the whole model and changes all the faces?

What do you expect to happen when you do this option?

No. When I use Modify Solid Face Color, the faces change as I select each and every one... one at a time. I want to change the color of the entire model, all at once, to be the one color I select (set). I don't want to change each face to a different color, nor change one face to a different color than the entire solid, which is what this selection sounds like it was designed for. I want to change the color of the entire BODY.

When I right click Body (in the Solids Manager tab) the solid highlights because I have Auto Highlight checked.

I click Clear Solid Feature Color (nothing happens that I can see).
    Then click Set Solid Color Feature and the color palette window pops up.
    I select my color, click the green check (OK) and nothing happens.

I expect the solid to be the color I just set.

What does CNC Software programmers/management define as Set Feature of a solid ?

Ok if you want to change the color of a whole solid mode then you use the solid color change just like wire frame or surfaces. as if you use it in Model prep and say a face or the whole part and you do an F4 analyze of the solid you will see he color of the model as the color it was brought in.

(I click Clear Solid Feature Color (nothing happens that I can see).) if there has not been any change using Change face or feature we see no change so there will be no result.

(I expect the solid to be the color I just set.) To do this with the whole solid in 2018 slect the solid right click pick a color under the Solid Color and it will change the whole model.

(What does CNC Software programmers/management define as Set Feature of a solid ?) We define this as a feature selection if the model was made in MC not if brought in as a step that is a dumb solid.
    So example: if you had a model you made in Mastercam and say made a pocket you could select this option of Set feature and then go over to the Solid Manager and pick that feature of the pocket and it would change the color of that feature.

I am figureing you do not have 2019 installed? as in this version if you change the faces in Solid Works and bring in to MC as a .SLDPRT file it will maintain the colors.

Hope this helps.
    Cadcam

"Ok if you want to change the color of a whole solid mode then you use the solid color change just like wire frame or surfaces. as if you use it in Model prep and say a face or the whole part and you do an F4 analyze of the solid you will see he color of the model as the color it was brought in."
    - The above instructions do not work. When I select the solid and do F4 Analyze, the color that shows is what I want to change it to but the solid is not that color.

"if there has not been any change using Change face or feature we see no change so there will be no result."
    - This is clearly the case as no color changed on the actual solid so there will be no screen graphic change. Even when I only change one face on the solid (which does work) and do a Clear Feature" the face is not cleared and is still the face color I made it.

(I expect the solid to be the color I just set.) To do this with the whole solid in 2018 slect the solid right click pick a color under the Solid Color and it will change the whole model.
    - This does not do anything but change the little color icon in that right click menu.

I am figuring you do not have 2019 installed? as in this version if you change the faces in Solid Works and bring in to MC as a .SLDPRT file it will maintain the colors.
    - Installed is SW 2018, MC X9 & 2018.

Ok I made a simple cube solid in MC and the color options work. Non of the solid color options work, except for Face Color, in a "dumb solid" as you call it. I never knew there was such a thing. Can MC programmers add the extra MC color info to the model when imported? There should be a standard .STEP data structure involved. 99% of models we use are from customers.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
    - Yes, thanks for your help.

Any Chance you can share the file that is not working? the step file you are working with. you can share it here or I can give you an email to send to?
    Or share the 2018 MC file.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Any Chance you can share the file that is not working? the step file you are working with. you can share it here or I can give you an email to send to?
    Or share the 2018 MC file.
    That's the easy part. I can't send you the part but I'm also using the Kurt vise jaws. I delete all the other parts of the vise and just using the jaws.
    Download the .STEP file from the KURT website and check it out. If you can't then I can send the file with only the jaws in it.

Page 1 of 2 12