585,894 active members*
4,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > spindle through hole cap? how to remove?

spindle through hole cap? how to remove?

1993 okuma lnc-8. Im trying to remove the cap so I can have a through hole in the spindle; however, I'm not 100% if I'm doing it right. Heres a pic of my current situation. thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0803.jpg  

Looks like a hex in the center. Put a hex wrench in it and bang the stuffing out of it. Probably has not been removed in years.

yeah Im guessing its been on for about 5 or 6 years. I had a t handle on it but it wasnt enough. Seems like someone might have previsously stripped it too. I might weld a new hex head on it if it becomes a problem. Thanks for the reassurance. Its tough doing some of this stuff without any manuals.

Impact wrenches do occasionally come in handy in the machine shop.

this thing it on there. Just hit it with the impact and got nothing. Breaker bar next.

it shouldnt matter if the chuck is open or closed right? the machine is turned off right/ clamped right now.

No. This plug should just be threaded in. I do not recall if it is left hand or right hand thread though. With and air driven impact, I would think you could get at least some movement both ways.

Missing a few pieces back there, that's not a standard factory plug. What exactly do you have going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Missing a few pieces back there, that's not a standard factory plug. What exactly do you have going on there?
    This is how I received the machine. I took off the green cover, removed the proximity switch housing with proximity switches still attached. I figured my next step would be to try and remove the center cap. Prior to removal I noticed someone had been messing with it because it looked stripped already. I've still had no luck removing it even using a breaker bar. I've emailed the local okuma tech for manuals. hopefully he comes through.

Makes more sense then. Just looks like a out of place belt in the back of the picture. The cap i believe has an O ring around it in the inside. they are a STD direction thread from what i remember. Parts book doesn't show it very well. Too get a better picture, go to Cylinders | Kitagawa-NorthTech, Inc. to get a parts breakdown.

didn't notice any screw heads, but the double flanged disk the cap is screwed into may have slots sawed into the od. then there would be screws in the end of the back flange. when tightened, it sqeezes the id threads to the od threads on the cap.

Got a heat gun or an oxy set?
    A little heat is great for releasing things.

I put some "knock er loose" in there to hopefully loosen things up a bit then hit it with my impact and even a 4ft breaker bar. Still no luck...this thing is in there!

Sounds like the next step is to cut or grind the thing out. Then make a new one to replace it.

I ended up using a 2 1/8 hole saw to cut through it. Pissed me off having to cut something off the machine but it is what it is... The entire sleeve was filled with dirt and rust. now onto removing the chuck since its filled with dirt and rust from blowing the spindle out. is it common to an impact to remove the chuck? I'm guessing this hasnt been removed in 5 or 6 years as well.

This is not common. But you are dealing with a machine that was not maintained properly. There are torque specs for assembly. Basic rule is you should never have to use a cheater pipe or hammer to tighten anything. If you do, something is wrong and should be fixed before proceeding.

Most companies/shop owners do not understand this part of set up/regular maintenance.

If its that bad, good luck unscrewing the chuck from the draw tube. You may end up pulling the draw tube out of the actuator, then the actuator has to come off, most okumas have a lock ring.

had to weld a nut onto the chuck socket or whatever its called. I was able to get the chuck off but I had the impact working hard all the way through. Heres a pic of the inside of the chuck. This is also my first time doing any of this including taking the chuck apart. Is there any advice you can give me regarding cthe disassembly and assembly of the chuck? thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0810.jpg  

Just use white lithium grease on re assembly, and make sure the zirk fittings are clear of crap.

I removed every bolt I could see but I can seem to take this thing apart.