586,000 active members*
4,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1993 Siemens control Chiron Machine

I have acquired a 1993 Chiron FZ12W machine. It has power to all the drives, there are no error codes, but the machine will not jog to to reference points.

Does anyone have suggestions as to why this may be and what to do about it?

Also, anyone with experience on this machine willing to travel to train me at my shop (you will be paid of course) please message me. I am in Oregon.

Thanks.

warrenb

I was factory trained on the fz12, however I know very little about the seimens, nor do I want to. All the ones we sold were fanuc.

Great.

Thanks for replying. But do you know anyone who knows Siemens?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I was factory trained on the fz12, however I know very little about the seimens, nor do I want to. All the ones we sold were fanuc.

Not really, went through hell getting support for a 2008 controller myself.

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Not really, went through hell getting support for a 2008 controller myself.
    Bummer thanks. Imagine getting help on a 1993

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Thanks for replying. But do you know anyone who knows Siemens?
    Is it an 810 control?
    Does it have a 610 axis drive which also controls the spindle motor?
    Is it a fixed table machine or pallet changer etc?

810 control, check...

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    Is it an 810 control?
    Does it have a 610 axis drive which also controls the spindle motor?
    Is it a fixed table machine or pallet changer etc?
    The machine does have an 810 control. It has a rotary index table.

Have you entered the working area dimensions or something like that?
    Last thing to be done after entering all the other data for a cold restart.

You can call Siemens at 800-879-8079 and open a technical support case. There is no charge for this support. You will get a call from a technician to walk through some troubleshooting on the phone. If it requires someone to come to site, they will forward you to the field service dept to place an order and schedule a visit by a field service tech.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcruthers View Post
    You can call Siemens at 800-879-8079 and open a technical support case. There is no charge for this support. You will get a call from a technician to walk through some troubleshooting on the phone. If it requires someone to come to site, they will forward you to the field service dept to place an order and schedule a visit by a field service tech.
    I'll give them another call. They've helped me a bit already but haven't been able to come up with it yet.

Thanks Everyone.

Thanks for everyone who responded to my question.

As it turns out there was a small piece of crud that jammed inside the tool changer's drawbar pnuematic valve. The magnetic reed valve never made it all the way to tell the PLC to allow the controller to jog the axes.

There's a few problems still to work out but I saw the beast move today.

Once you have worked on them a few times it gets quite simple from the point of view that is all simple logic.Every moving part has a proximity switch to tell the control it got there before the next bit is instructed to move.If it`s the original prox switch it will have an led to tell you when it`s energised.
    If it still has the Festo manifold it`s possible to manually operate the spool valves to check things.
    Whilst Siemens offers free tech phone support here also,it`s getting difficult to find someone with knowledge of the 810 control and 610 drives.
    Good little machines though and ours certainly doesn`t owe us anything.

Didn't last long...

Once you have worked on them a few times it gets quite simple from the point of view that is all simple logic.Every moving part has a proximity switch to tell the control it got there before the next bit is instructed to move.If it`s the original prox switch it will have an led to tell you when it`s energised.
    If it still has the Festo manifold it`s possible to manually operate the spool valves to check things.
    Whilst Siemens offers free tech phone support here also,it`s getting difficult to find someone with knowledge of the 810 control and 610 drives.
    Good little machines though and ours certainly doesn`t owe us anything.
    Thanks Gridley.

I had everything wrapped up and things seems to work... For a little while at least. I could jog around. Now though, I can only jog the 4th axis and the x axis in negative. Any suggestions?

I also serviced all the pnuematic valves so everything is moving nice and smooth. Took a while to get the "logic" set up. with how the valves are suppose to be set in default mode.

I will put in a few calls to Siemens and Chiron and let every one know what happens.

Assuming you have not changed any parameters since you could jog everything,it must be machine side problems you have.
    As it will only let you jog in negative I would check for stuck overtravel limits.The micro switches on these are prone to sticking when the machine has stood a while.If it thinks you have overtravelled in the positive direction then it only allows you to go the other way to get off the limit.It may be you have jogged over both ways.
    Did you check what the working area was set at?
    Drives are ok or you wouldn`t even be able to jog.Check the feedback cables at the drives have not been knocked out a little bit.That`s the ones with the little blue plug on the end,easily dislodged when you`re working on them.This does not usually stops them moving but it can make an axis jumpy and noisy as the motor commutation is affected.

Thanks for the suggestions

Assuming you have not changed any parameters since you could jog everything,it must be machine side problems you have.
    As it will only let you jog in negative I would check for stuck overtravel limits.The micro switches on these are prone to sticking when the machine has stood a while.If it thinks you have overtravelled in the positive direction then it only allows you to go the other way to get off the limit.It may be you have jogged over both ways.
    Drives are ok or you wouldn`t even be able to jog.Check the feedback cables at the drives have not been knocked out a little bit.That`s the ones with the little blue plug on the end,easily dislodged when you`re working on them.This does not usually stops them moving but it can make an axis jumpy and noisy as the motor commutation is affected.
    I'll look in to all those things. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

Parameters

Hello gridley51,

Would you be so kind as to direct me to where the parameters are set on the Siemens controller? I was poking through and found the spindle set to ZERO. perhaps the feeds for jogging is set for zero.

It's progress. And I can now do tool changes through the PLC. But jogging it so I can start cutting parts would be great. Thanks.

warrnb

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post

Would you be so kind as to direct me to where the parameters are set on the Siemens controller? I was poking through and found the spindle set to ZERO. perhaps the feeds for jogging is set for zero.

It's progress. And I can now do tool changes through the PLC. But jogging it so I can start cutting parts would be great. Thanks.

warrnb
    I`ll post some info later today.But,if it was jogging and you have not changed any parameters,then that is not your problem.

What page were you on when you saw the spindle at zero.Setting data or parameters?