584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: tabs

tabs

Hi...I'm making progress with my first CNC project. I'm cutting cabinet parts out of a 4 x 8 3/4 cabinet grade plywood. I'm having some problems removing the parts from the 4 x 8. I've been using a sharp chisel to break the tabs. But this occasionally damages the cabinet part. I've tried using a Dremil tool but that process is very slow. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Mazzy

Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    Hi...I'm making progress with my first CNC project. I'm cutting cabinet parts out of a 4 x 8 3/4 cabinet grade plywood. I'm having some problems removing the parts from the 4 x 8. I've been using a sharp chisel to break the tabs. But this occasionally damages the cabinet part. I've tried using a Dremil tool but that process is very slow. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Mazzy
    Dremel makes a router base for the older 200 series Dremel Tools. Try one of those and use a RotoZip blade that cuts on the side and end. Dremel also sells a carbide tile ceramic tile cutter with the diamond shaped part long enough to reach over 3/4" deep. With the router base you can set the blade depth and just slide it over the tabs to cut through them.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Dremel parts

Thanks...Home Depot has a large assortment of Dremel accessories. I'll check them out.

USe a laminate trimmer and flush trim bit to route them off.

How are you holding down your sheets?
    You may find that if you leave a thin onion skin instead of tabs, that it's easier to remove. Tabs would be my last choice.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

tabs

Thanks Gerry,

How would I create a thin onion skin?

tabs

Gerry,

Regarding holding down my sheets I have a double 3/4" MDF. The top MDF is the spoilboard. Using drywall screws I hold down my work piece with screws around the outside edges so my bit will miss them. I've thought of using the Raptor setup but their nail gun ($300) is a bit pricey for my right now.

Mazzy

Like Gerry says, use a trim router and a flush trim bit. Porter Cable makes a 1/4" flush trim bit that would work well. If you use tabs, then try to put them in a less conspicuous spot if possible.

tabs

I tried a trim router and it works great!!! What was taking me 1/2 hour with the Dremil is now taking me 5 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mazzy