585,931 active members*
4,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc "Program Transfer Tool"

We want to load and punch part programs that have more than 8 charactors in their name. Does anyone use this? Does it work good?

FANUC FA America- Part Program Transfer Tool

With today's PC's, on the PC side of things, you can have file names of any length you wish. I think with Fanuc, you will be limited to the standard 4 digit program numbers. Just remember, on the PC, the file name does not have to be the program number. I do not think this software will do what you are envisioning.

there's an option to go to 8 numbers for the program number. but it still has to be in the normal Fanuc format (O12345678)
    the software is for transfer of programs via ethernet and FTP. that requires extra hardware and options. its just easier and cheaper (or free) to use 4-digit numbers and good old RS232 then keep an excel spreadsheet of the program numbers and what they are for. for large programs use a memory card and use separate directories to organize parts.
    there's no need for FTP/ethernet unless you have money to burn.

Our control (31i model A) allows programs to be named 2 ways.

The normal O12345678

OR

If you use “<>” symbols you can use up to 32 characters. For example

%
    <LONGPROGRAMNAME123456789>
    N10 G0 G17
    N20........
    N1000M30
    %

BUT

it can only punch / read up to 8 charactors. When you try to load the above program it gets saved as LONGPR~9.

Once it is loaded you can change it all the way up to 32 characters. Then you have to change the name within the control back to 8 characters to punch it back out.

Of course there really are 2 names to consider. The actual program name/number and the file name it was saved as in the computer where it was generated. We were hoping that the 'Fanuc Part Program Transfer Tool' would allow us to Load/Punch with having to change the names every time.

Even after getting this additional information, I do not think the software in question will do what you are envisioning. I have been working with the 4 digit program number system for over 17 years and never have had any issues with file naming since Windows 98 allowed long file names. Purchasing additional software was never even considered. On the computer side, files would be stored in a folder system based on customer company name [Holt], then customer part number and revision number/letter [5263-6584 REV3]. Then the file would be named customer part number and revision number/letter and operation number [5263-6584 REV3 OP 3.NC]. The program number would be based off of the customer part number, revision number and operation number [O8433]. The program would also include as the first comment line, the program description which was readable by the operator in the machine control library [(HOLT 5263-6584 REV3 OP 3)]. Using RS-232, someone would set the machine to read, and then at the computer, open the software for file transfer (such as CodeShark Lite) and select the file to be sent and then send it to the machine control. To run a program that had already been loaded to the machine control, the operator would look in the machine control library and find the program number desired by looking at the descriptions.

Good luck.

I've been using 4-digit numbers since 1986, no problems here either.
    I just put all the info in the program at the top. If I can't find something using my named part or customer directories or excel spreadsheet master parts and programs list (currently listing about 40000 programs), I search inside the files for text (most often the drawing number)

An example top of a program might look like this.....

O1234 (T11 RING A55 R/T OP1)
    (CUSTOMER T11 ENGINEERING)
    (DRAWING NO. C-123456-1)
    (DRAWING TITLE T11 RING SIZE A55)

I rarely have to search because we use PC-DNC3 which has a nice program list (created by the program automatically when CNC programs are saved) allowing you to see the top line of the program (i.e. T11 RING A55 R/T OP1) so finding a program is very easy.

If you (mis)manage your PC files like most people (saving things all over the HDD with no logical structure) then its not difficult to lose track of things.

Basically it boils down to good housekeeping and discipline on how the programs are managed. If you do it the right way it's very easy.