585,687 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > are we going overboard with programming

Hybrid View

are we going overboard with programming

Need advice on software
    The company I work for recently added to my responsibilities which are mainly managing a 12 man die shop. my addittonal duties are to manage a 7 man cnc swiss dept. we are currently running 3 new citizens.
    My question is regarding programming. Currently we will sketch part in solidworks to create 3d model. Then we import model into partmaker I'm just wandering if we are doing more than is needed?

I attached 2 Images of the type work we do these parts are not ours but images I found that

I wish it were only that simple for me! I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford software like Partmaker. I program our E32 Citizen by hand. You want to talk about the long way around? I can vouch that, yes, it can be done. No, you do not need to do it through a CAM program...BUT...how nice it would be to load my 3d model, select the tools for the operations, be able to swap operations, simulate the program, and not have many issues!!!!

To give you an example:

On the last job I just setup, it took 6 hours to write the program, 4 hours to tool up the machine, and then 4 more hours just to prove the program!!

To answer your question...Is it overkill? Maybe Delcam, (and all the other CAM software companies for that matter), does charge overkill prices for the software, but consider the time I could have saved on one job alone. Shoot, if I could afford to buy it, I could probably darn near pay for it in a year!

My $0.02.

Ciao

do we need solidworks and partmaker

My main question is do we need to create a model in solidworks and then use partaker. Takes alot of time and from what I've read We should be able to do it all in partaker. Wouldn't be that concerned but most of our runs are less than 1000 pcs. And drawing 6 to 8 parts everyday in solidworks then uploading to Partmaker takes some time. Just wandering can we do it all in partmaker

I'm sorry, I cannot answer that question. I'm sure someone else here will chime in and help you out with that. You may also want to post this question in the forum for Partmaker: Partmaker - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

My questions for you are, and these are some things only you can answer...

Even if you can draw the part up in Partmaker, which software is more familiar to your team for drawing? A 3d model is a 3d model. Your team will be more efficient with something they know well. Instead of redrawing the model yourselves, why not just ask the customer for a copy of their solid model? A simple email, upload to Partmaker, and you're in business!

I hope someone else can help you more!

Best of luck,
    Mike

When I started CNC programming about 16 years ago, I programmed almost every type of part you pictured standing at the machine with the part print and a calculator. Military and aerospace applications. I still do a lot of lathe programming this way. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

No....you really don't need to lay the part out in solidworks first. The entire thing can be done in partmaker. It sounds like somebody wants to keep their solidworks guys busy to me. You can also set up cells in partmaker that you can use for similar parts, that way you don't have to draw out every part, just use the cells from diffetent parts and put them all together to make another similar part.
    www.atmswiss.com

It's not ALWAYS Rocket Science

This is the essence of one of the main things wrong in today's manufacturing. Everybody thinks they need a 3D model or a CAD/CAM system to program their parts. Therefore ... every programmer needs CAD/CAM and 3D modeling experience.

Employers are complaining that they can't find qualified help ... that's because they made the shop floor too complicated !!!

IMHO.

That is also the essence of our "It's not ALWAYS Rocket Science" campaign for our conversational programming software. Sure CAD/CAM is a great tool ... but sometimes it's overkill and can even slow down the programming process.

Sometimes just a simple tool to help create the G code is all that is required ... let's face it that writing G code can be tedious and can be error prone. That's why a simple tool like Kipware® conversational can be a tremendous help on the shop floor.

Just my thoughts.

Real World Machine Shop Software at Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop and CNC Software

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    When I started CNC programming about 16 years ago, I programmed almost every type of part you pictured standing at the machine with the part print and a calculator. Military and aerospace applications. I still do a lot of lathe programming this way. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
    +1

My boss gave me drawings and said. " Hey, We needs these parts yesterday... Thanks I really appreciate it."

THen with no more technology than some paper, pen, scale and calculator I would get my stool and stand at the controller after writing the code on a legal pad. Now I have EdgeCAM and can't get the company guys to create a post thats worth a crud or doesn't need a ton of editing.

most of that milling work is straight plunging with a slotting saw(i can see the tool marks
    )

i would program almost all of those by hand,

ive always noticed cam system put too much crap code to make eficient programs

i'm a firm believer if you cant hand program(with some exceptions) you shouldnt be using cam.

fyi: i use mastercam for my swiss with a lot of editing

My personal preference is to go ahead and do the Solid model=, then use it in PartMaker to generate the Toolpaths. I have found this to be about the same amount of time as drawing everything you need because the solid makes it a bit easier to get you Face Window Functions set.

Bill

[QUOTE=petrucci's;1158523]Need advice on software
    The company I work for recently added to my responsibilities which are mainly managing a 12 man die shop. my addittonal duties are to manage a 7 man cnc swiss dept. we are currently running 3 new citizens.
    My question is regarding programming. Currently we will sketch part in solidworks to create 3d model. Then we import model into partmaker I'm just wandering if we are doing more than is needed?
    Bill Cain
    www.partmaker.com