584,316 active members*
6,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Can't get I,J,K based toolpaths when using surface tool

Can't get I,J,K based toolpaths when using surface tool

Hi all, I've posted a few times and have always gotten help so here goes.

I'm cutting a simple concave sphere and when gibbs generates the tool path it uses thousands of linear x,y movements instead of generating radial I,J,K arcs. I'm left with a choppy faceted surface that's no good to me in my application (Optical field)

A) Does that make sense

B) What can I do to make it generate the kind of tool path I'm looking for.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks!

First, on the tool path tab of your operation, select Arcs. If that does not help, then this is probably based on your post processor you are selecting. Try different post processors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surfacing.jpg  

Thanks for the tip. I see the arc generation in the g-code now, issue is It's only when I select lace cut that it allows for the option? Lace cut is no good for my application.

One of several limitations of GibbsCam? What version are you using?

Smile

Hi,

Every CAM software outputize the NC Program through various techniques. If you try Delcam Powermill, then you have the following output options -
    1. FIT ARCS
    2. TOLERANCE ARCS
    3. TOLERANCE & FIT ARCS.

I think that your problem is something similar one ( In your CAM Software ...GibbsCAM )

I can provide you a NC Program (containing I,J,K values). Please mail me your Model on [email protected] & also mention the various parameters (like Stepover, avaliable cutters, stock, feed, speed).

Thanks
    Ashish
    Get your CAM Programs rotated by CAS software to REDUCE SETUP TIME on your VMC & HMC. To download it, visit www.computeraidedsetup.com

I'm using Gibbscam 2009 v9.3.9

Most machines are not true 3 axis. They are 2.5 axis. So you can generate arcs on any two planes. Or make helical arcs in Z. Arcs that are on XZ or YZ planes will give G2 or G3 output. Unless the arc is perpendicular to one of the 3 axises you have to have point to point output or have a true 3 axis machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Most machines are not true 3 axis. They are 2.5 axis. So you can generate arcs on any two planes. Or make helical arcs in Z. Arcs that are on XZ or YZ planes will give G2 or G3 output. Unless the arc is perpendicular to one of the 3 axises you have to have point to point output or have a true 3 axis machine.
    Species makes a good point. If you can choose a toolpath that aligns the line segments so they are parallel to one of the G17/18/19 planes, you can then run a piece of software that will do arc fitting. This is standalone software that just processes your g-code and converts lines to arcs where that fits a tolerance you specify.

Ironically, I just wrote a blog post about this faceting problem:

7 Software Excuses for Bad Surface Finishes « CNCCookbook CNC Blog CNCCookbook CNC Blog

Gibbs may even have an arc fitting option or there may be an add-on for Gibbs.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html