585,761 active members*
4,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Modular ATC rough draft

Well this isn't rocket science but I can do this for a whole lot less than $4500.00. I still need to take more measurements but I believe this will all work.
    I am going to build an air blast around the spindle nose to clean the tool holders when tool changing. I will also probably alter my coolant line location.

You good people have a lot of good ideas here so tell me why this won't work to save me some time and trouble.

Thanks,

Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 vise.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	166114

Name:	2 vises.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	166115

Name:	8 inch rotary.jpg 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	166116

It's a neat idea. It wouldn't work for me, since it impinges too much on the machinable area. I also have a serious pile of chips sitting around. But for smaller parts, it makes some sense.

Google DIY toolchanger or "Winerack" Tool changer. A lot of folks do it this way. It has some drawbacks but can be done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqh5iZKRwfM]Automatic tool change Diy - YouTube[/ame]

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

For little tiny brass parts that run dry and don't make many chips that would probably work well, but how do you plan to keep the coolant off the shanks of your tool holders. As it is, the TTS holders are susceptible to slippage when doing heavy milling.

I have found a work around to eliminate that slippage, but you need to keep the TTS holders clean and dry.

I don't see how your tool changer idea can keep the holders clean and dry.

Sorry, I didn't mean to burst your bubble. Basically it's a good idea.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Easy to make a hinged cover with a simple mechanical link/lever that swings the cover back automatically as the table moves to the tool change position.

Phil

most of my parts are small and I have learned to compensate for tool slippage by not being to aggressive with larger endmills. I mostly rough with a 3/8" endmills. I figured the air blast would clean the tools off enough.

A mechanical cover would work I guess but i would prefer it to be all mechanical and no electronics to swing the covers.

I also had figured that tool lengths longer than 4" would be manually loaded, so tools that might have slippage could fall under the same.

I won't take offense on any comment. I am here for feedback, good and bad.

Hoss has one with mechanical cover over on his threads somewhere. Heck, he has a carousel one too of course.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I don't see a thread for Hoss could you point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Easy to make a hinged cover with a simple mechanical link/lever that swings the cover back automatically as the table moves to the tool change position.

Phil
    +1

Or you can even get fancy and use an actuator of some sort... Of course you need another parallel port and a BOB to add IO's.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    Well this isn't rocket science but I can do this for a whole lot less than $4500.00. I still need to take more measurements but I believe this will all work.
    I am going to build an air blast around the spindle nose to clean the tool holders when tool changing. I will also probably alter my coolant line location.

You good people have a lot of good ideas here so tell me why this won't work to save me some time and trouble.

Thanks,

Chris

Name:	1 vise.jpg 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	166114

Name:	2 vises.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	166115

Name:	8 inch rotary.jpg 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	166116
    I had this exact idea. I took it vertical with 2 or 3 rows that could extend and retract to avoid eating up table area. Never got beyond the "idea" stage, but plan to do this at some point.

have you seen this one?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkzIf6g1HU&feature=plcp]G0704 ATC 4 Enclosure Prototype - YouTube[/ame]

It just seems to me that the ATC is too much money compared to the cost of the mill. It's just hard to rationally justify it. I almost prefer to save up the $$$'s and buy a second machine which can be cutting at once, than invest in the ATC.
    It must've been hard to make, or get to work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    As it is, the TTS holders are susceptible to slippage when doing heavy milling.
    You make that sound like a FAR bigger problem than it actually is. I use TTS almost exclusively on a 3HP Bridgeport clone knee mill, taking cuts that are aggressive enough to challenge the rigidity of the machine. I routinely do roughing in 6061 with 1/2" 2-flute HSS endmills at 0.25" DOC, up to 30IPM, 3-flute carbides at up to 75 IPM, and much deeper DOCs at correspondingly lower feedrates. I have NEVER had a TTS holder slip or pull out on me. When used properly (greased taper and clean, dry collet bore and TTS shank), with the drawbar tightened properly (25 ft-lbs), they are MORE than capable of handling any cut you're likely to do with a PC1100.

Regards,
    Ray L.

It's kinda meaningless to compare the cost of the ATC with the cost of the machine. What you need to do is evaluate how much of your time is freed up by use of the ATC and what the monetary value of that time is!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    It just seems to me that the ATC is too much money compared to the cost of the mill. It's just hard to rationally justify it. I almost prefer to save up the $$$'s and buy a second machine which can be cutting at once, than invest in the ATC.
    It must've been hard to make, or get to work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    It's kinda meaningless to compare the cost of the ATC with the cost of the machine. What you need to do is evaluate how much of your time is freed up by use of the ATC and what the monetary value of that time is!

Phil
    You are absolutely correct. What I should have said, is it's hard for me to emotionally justify it.

howecnc, have you gone anywhere with this idea? Are you able to control the PDB on the Tormach from Mach3?

Life and work got in the way of time. I still think about it but I have a much bigger project going on for my shop right now.

This is my interpretation of the wine rack solution. 5 tools. I used acrylic for the plastic parts, but have since changed over to nylon. I use ModIO board to actuate the standard Tormach PDB.

Geo

Name:	IMG_3490.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	189064

Quote Originally Posted by gjvander View Post
    This is my interpretation of the wine rack solution. 5 tools. I used acrylic for the plastic parts, but have since changed over to nylon. I use ModIO board to actuate the standard Tormach PDB.

Geo

Name:	IMG_3490.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	189064
    Care to share any more info? I'd like another way to change tools. ATC is great, but I bet that's the same tool change speed, since I won't have to go so high in Z.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Care to share any more info? I'd like another way to change tools. ATC is great, but I bet that's the same tool change speed, since I won't have to go so high in Z.
    Well worth the money. I went to linuxcnc, but for Mach, this is a great resource including code.... Hossmachine Store

Page 1 of 2 12