585,560 active members*
3,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > AutoCAD to PCM & Custom Designs

AutoCAD to PCM & Custom Designs

So, I have this machine and I am a 10 AutoCAD design Draftsman and have been successful for the past 6 years with conversion from AutoCAD to PCM format or EPS etc. If anyone needs help, I am here to do so. I wish someone like me was around when I first bought this machine. Mine is the DHC2.

Unfortunately as most of you know, the PlasmaCAM software is garbage...but since I am an AutoCAD Draftsman, I can take any photo, design, idea etc. and export it to PCM...then scale, fic the linework and cut.

Just hit me up if you need help! You can send me your photo, sketch etc. and I will do this for you

-Jeremiah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2117.jpg   IMG_6000.jpg  

Just wondering what makes you say the Plasmacam software is garbage???
    I'm certainly no expert when it comes to CAD but, I find the Plasmacam software very easy to use.....Have done for a long time although, Design Edge has been a massive step foward.
    Intuitive, accurate, easy to import a host of file formats with relative ease and, the available cutting parameters make for great machine control.
    Definately a long way from garbage....IMHO.
    (I have no affiliation with Plasmacam, other than acting as moderator on 2 online forums)

Mick.

Home Page

Jeremy....
    You apparently have never used Plasmacam's designedge software.
    All that fancy stuff in your pictures that you made can happen with a coupe of clicks of a mouse. It's no big deal. I easily take any picture and dxf, bring them directly into plasmacam's software cut and be done. Lets face it, I get an auto headache when I mess with a lot other programs. I do not have the time to fool around with up to five different programs anymore. All that auto-cad crap is rubbish compared to what I with one easy to run program.
    -Richard

"I am Richard and I approve this message"

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahG View Post
    So, I have this machine and I am a 10 AutoCAD design Draftsman and have been successful for the past 6 years with conversion from AutoCAD to PCM format or EPS etc. If anyone needs help, I am here to do so. I wish someone like me was around when I first bought this machine. Mine is the DHC2.

Unfortunately as most of you know, the PlasmaCAM software is garbage...but since I am an AutoCAD Draftsman, I can take any photo, design, idea etc. and export it to PCM...then scale, fic the linework and cut.

Just hit me up if you need help! You can send me your photo, sketch etc. and I will do this for you

-Jeremiah
    Hello, I was wondering if u still mess with plasmacam?I just purchased a used machine and am trying to convert a picture to a plasmacam file and am having no luck lol.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfrouse View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if u still mess with plasmacam?I just purchased a used machine and am trying to convert a picture to a plasmacam file and am having no luck lol.
    Thanks,
    Frank
    Hahaha oh yeah, it's sooo difficult, it's possible, but you have to start playing with the colors, gray scales and other options, I've done it and it took me up to 5-6 hours and it still doesn't turn out the way I wanted

Re: AutoCAD to PCM & Custom Designs

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I have great luck in converting images using DesignEdge. I teach people how to use the DesignEdge software online, and I do it for FUN! I don't charge for my time. We get together via ZOOM, and I help people learn the software from square one, or work out a problem with a particular file, or whatever. I know there is a lot of chest pounding from the macho guys with "real plasma tables," :violin:but I will put my Samson 510 (PlasmaCam's 'BIG BROTHER') and DesignEdge software up against any other plasma table for ease of producing a part from a napkin sketch. DesignEdge does it all. It is fast, easy, and FUN to use.

Okay, so it is proprietary software and people who run a PlasmaCam are USELESS for running the other brands, but there is the old adage ... "Once you've tasted steak, you don't WANT hot dogs!"

I make You Tube videos to teach people how to use DesignEdge. Yes, the videos are admittedly "amateur" in nature, but I have over 400 videos online, and I get constant feedback about how they help people learn the software.

Is there room for improvement? HELL YES! A lot of needed features have been suggested, but PlasmaCam is the giant, slow, rusty barge moving down the river, and they don't change ANYTHING quickly.

DesignEdge is not really made for high end graphics work, so converting some raster image into a PCM or DXF file is not where the software shines. However, if a person were to TRACE that photo, I dare say DesignEdge is quick and efficient at producing the needed vector art file.

Also of note, I run a plasma torch, a 2.25HP BOSCH router, a paint pen and a small laser on my PlasmaCam tables. I carve wood, foam, plastic, PVC board and so much more with it. It is only a lack of TIME that has prevented me from producing a nice painting, or a fantastic piece of metal art using my table and DesignEdge.

So sit in the corner of the sandbox and throw mud balls at PlasmaCam owners all you want. We just laugh and go back to making money in Metal Art!

Joe

Hello, i can create custom software if you feel there is something to be improved, you need some automatized tasks, just ring a bell / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

We cannot (legally) decompile DesignEdge software in order to make changes or improvements, so that is not an option.

Joe

hello all i can help with custom solutions

if you wish to change something, or have some crazy ideas, etc, regardless of what software you are using, simply share a few images/video with actual aproach, and describe what you wish to be different / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg