584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko g320x keeps faulting

Gecko g320x keeps faulting

Sorry to double post, forgot about the Gecko specific section

I have four Gecko g320x drivers. All of them work fine except for one that keeps faulting and just jumps around. I found out what is causing to fault. I have 5 pin sockets for the encoders cables mounted to a panel of my control box. If I take the one for the driver that keeps faulting and let it just hang off without contacting the enclosure, it acts fine. the minute i touch it against the control box it start the repetive faulting. I'm assuming this means there is a grounding issue but for the life of me I can't find it. The other drivers are wired the same way.

Could there be a problem with this driver? Are there some trouble shooting steps to take?

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Is this thread basically saying to tie the negative dc side of the power supply to earth ground? I have everything star grounded to the chassis and then it goes to the AC socket earth ground. Is there any danger if I tie the negative to that?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdork View Post
    Is this thread basically saying to tie the negative dc side of the power supply to earth ground? I have everything star grounded to the chassis and then it goes to the AC socket earth ground. Is there any danger if I tie the negative to that?
    For the benefit of people reading this thread, there is a caution that I mentioned in thunderdork's other thread about hooking up his KL-7220 power supply (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/automa...ly_wiring.html) - namely that if the secondary winding of the toroidal power transformer has a center tap that is connected to the power supply's chassis/earth ground, then connecting the DC supply's negative output lead to that same ground point runs the risk of shorting out half of the secondary winding (and dropping the output voltage as a result). It would require some probing of the circuit to be sure (or else, perhaps someone has already done that with a KL-7220 and knows the answer).

The reason for my concern is that thunderdork had previously measured voltage between the positive output and the "C" terminal (and also between the negative output and the "C" terminal) of the power supply at 36 volts, which implied to me that the transformer secondary does have a center tap that is connected to the "C" terminal (and also possibly to chassis ground). The thought is that the KL-7220 can be configured as a 0 - +72 volt power supply or as a -36 0 +36 volt power supply, with the chassis/earth ground at the middle potential.