586,009 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Should I do this?

Hi-
    I have a mid 80's Mori SL-1 with a Fanuc 6T control on it. It runs, but I've had some problems with funky connections if the machine sits, and some general old electronic weirdness.

I am looking to retrofit it, maybe upgrade to an additional axis. I've looked at Centroid's and Ajax's websites, and am intrigued.

I have no machine repair experience, but I am good with mechanical and electrical things (I design and build balancing machines).

Should I look into tackling a retrofit, go turnkey, or dump the thing and buy something else.

Thoughts??
    Thanks-Mark

I myself think it would be fun to strip that and re-build I wouldn't go new because you have alot of good compnents that still are good. Its just the electrical and the PC side thats messing around with you right?

For an installation on a machine by someone who is NOT a machine repair person the Centroid would be the way to go. They are plug an play, mount the motors and the controls, plug in the cables and you are making parts. The included software is very easy to use with good graphics for cut path verifications. The Ajax is basically the same setup but in kit form and you need to do more yourself. Both are very nice systems. Depends on your time, experience and wallet. You won't be dissapointed.

If you dump the lathe, I have a big garage and would love to do a ajax install on it.
    I have install a kit on a mill and though I have had limited time at home this year
    to get it perfect. it works great,
    Brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you like the machine and it is in decent shape then by all means go ahead and do the upgrade. I have done an Ajax upgrade to an old Hurco and it was pretty straight forward. Jesse from Ajax has been very helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend their products. Although the Centroid is a more complete system the Ajax can be ordered that way or you can save a bunch of money and pick up the computer and some of the other components your self. (Configuring the computer was probably the LEAST complicated part of the whole job). If your servos are still in good shape, this can save you even more money over the Centroid.

The upgrade has made a HUGE difference in the useability and the accuracy of the machine. The controller is easy to use and so far has been very reliable. If you have any doubts about your ability to wire the thing (especially the small soldered connections on the encoder cables) then just order the premade cables and it's pretty much a plug and play deal.

I'm sure there are several people on this forum (myself included) that would be happy to help you out if you run into problems.

Good luck!

Bill