584,846 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Diesel Engine Project

Diesel Engine Project

Hello everyone,

new to the site and new to CNC stuff. Just bought my first machine. Got a grizzly G0704 and I know it will have it's limits, but it's a start.

I'm planing on working on a design for a small diesel engine. Guessing around 1.8-2.0L engine. "Dreaming" it will be for a small car and mini pickup. I'm basing my idea on the 80's VW rabbit diesel engine. It's sad, that in the early 80's. You had a car and truck that was getting 50 MPG then and now with all this new technology. We are barely getting 45 MPG in hybrids.

I'm going to focus on a design that is already out there and see about making some changes. Would love to hear any thoughts or ideas. My family back ground. Father has been working on diesel engines most of his life. Just about everything out there. From trains, tugboats, heavy machinery, cars and trucks.

His oldest brother. Is a well know machinist and travels all over the USA. I'm hoping they will keep me on the right track. I'm thinking soildworks would be the software to use.

I would like to hear from others. What software they think would be good. For laying out the motor and making changes? Would soildworks be a good choice?

Well, just wanted to see what others thought. We will have a CPU made and be using Bosch for injectors and injector pump to save time and money. We are trying to use what's already out there. I think that is going to be the way to save time and money. We can design the block and piece everything together.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Just wondering if you have you ever built an engine, any size at all??

Quote Originally Posted by bluejets View Post
    Just wondering if you have you ever built an engine, any size at all??
    No, I've never built one from scratch. Worked on them and rebuilt plenty, but never built one. I'm guess, the negative comment will follow and all the stuff that your getting into deep waters and all.

I think the hardest is going to be the block, but like I said before. I'm going to look at what's out there and use what I can. Going with a simple design and simple CPU. Got to talk with uncle on some spec's. Plus, my father thinks cast iron for the block. Got to see what uncle thinks about aluminum block, with cast iron inserts. Head and pressure with be another issue.

I'm open to your comment bluejet. Thanks for the reply on the other thread. Very kewl design motor.
    Take care,
    Steve

That sounds like an interesting project.

I wonder what factors contributed to the loss of efficiency ? My guess is that it has to do with combustion temperature, because that was one of the big trade offs that the commercial engine makers to make to bring NOx levels down.

I don't remember the exact point, but somewhere around 2 000 C the NOx levels really start rising. If you don't mind pumping in more ammonia into the exhaust, this can be counteracted if this is a consideration.

If you can make the stroke as long as possible / low piston speeds, that can also make a big difference in fuel efficiency, although not necessarily to vehicle performance.

There is some interesting work in reviving the opposed piston type engine concepts, although these are not exactly small.

I think this is a great project. Do you have any drawings for the engine?

Thanks for the idea and post everyone. Open to any idea's. I'll post when I can. I'll be moving around late spring early summer. Heading to Hawaii and will be setting up shop over there. Having a nice steel building added for all the tools I might need.
    Take care,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    That sounds like an interesting project.

I wonder what factors contributed to the loss of efficiency ? My guess is that it has to do with combustion temperature, because that was one of the big trade offs that the commercial engine makers to make to bring NOx levels down.

I don't remember the exact point, but somewhere around 2 000 C the NOx levels really start rising. If you don't mind pumping in more ammonia into the exhaust, this can be counteracted if this is a consideration.

If you can make the stroke as long as possible / low piston speeds, that can also make a big difference in fuel efficiency, although not necessarily to vehicle performance.

There is some interesting work in reviving the opposed piston type engine concepts, although these are not exactly small.
    Very good points you've brought up. I know the exhaust temps can be an issue and getting them down. Will, get you better HP and mileage. Allot, of the diesel now a days. Are detuned from the factories. Getting RPM's down will help with the motor lasting and diesel's don't like high rpm's. I know the detroit diesel i worked on. Where turning 1200 rpm's and I've seen units turning 800. We need to find a window and work with that. I know my cummin's is 800-2500 and the turbo starts singing at 1800.

Lots of stuff to go over, but if those Euro's can have a VW getting close to 60MPG. I think I can come up with something, but without all the computer junk.

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    I think this is a great project. Do you have any drawings for the engine?
    As of yet, no. Just kicking the can around and thinking of some idea's. Got to sit down with my dad and go over some parts. I want to use what's already out there and design around ready available parts. Got to sit down and see who has the best injectors, pumps, etc. I'm thinking a 1.8-2.0 liter motor.

Mainly, I'm going to semi retire and work on this. If it pans out, then I'll see about producing a proto type. I've got the family members with the years and resources, so will see what happens. I do have allot to lean.

a bolt in H4 Turbo Diesel for the air cooled VW cars and trucks would be cool.

I am a Solidworks user , 8-10 hrs a day at a mechanical designers job , then after hours with my own business. Roughly 14-16 hours a day on long days. Solidworks is an excellent package for design work , as are many others, (Solidedge, Autocad,etc) I would think cost is a factor and SW is not cheap but priced competitively with the other packages, but what drove me to Solidworks over many other is the amount of FREE support resources and the user communities. Solidworks actively promotes and support the users groups (shrewd business tactic, by the way). I cant tell you how many times I have used the web resources for a question or problem solution (especially weekends). I purchased Solidworks Premium with Simulation Professional, you may want to start of with "standard" level package, I use that in my day job and it works fine and has a lot of functionality for the price, we do some highly complex machines with it, certainly on the order of complexity of the diesel you are considering.
    Also don't let negativity stop you from pursuing this, I think you are right and there is a market for a retrofit friendly utilitarian diesel of the size you are mentioning. I own 2 VW 1.6 L diesels and love them , rebuilding one right now(85 Jetta, 50 mpg w/ac). Investigate the deutz air cooled diesel for some design ideas, highly efficient engine ,from 1 cylinder to inline 6 that I am familiar with from farm tractors and industrial welders/generators, pistons and jugs all same size,used in a lot of industrial , agricultural applications and in some Magirus brand trucks as well I believe.
    Some have even retrofited the AG engines to their pickups , although this is rare as it is a major undertaking. There was a a company (may still be around) "Universal Adapters" I think was the name , they made a lot of different trans/engine/bell housing adapters for the 4WD crowd etc.. you will need some information on the most universal interface used for a kit type situation.

Just my .02 worth. Good Luck to you

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!”
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe