585,712 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Harding HNC Centroid retrofit

Bought this machine a year ago. Finally getting a chance to work on it now. Apparently the story goes like this. The Guy I bought it from bought it from a company that was replacing the machine for a larger CNC lathe and they just cut the wires from the centroid control to get it out. I doubt that the story ends there but I bought it cheap so whatever. My problem is sometime in between 4 terminal strips were taken from the hardinge cabinet making making the repair more than just simply connecting the severed wires. I do have the the Retrofit Procedure manual but I don't have any schematics. I tried contacting Centroid twice over a few weeks but no replies so far. Attached is a photo of what the manual says it should look like and the mess mine is in. If someone could send me the schematic it would be greatly appreciated.
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1367.jpg   100_1369.jpg  
    www.decalpro.ca

Dan,

I have attached a schematic for the HNC cabinet. Are you planning on adding a new Centroid Control to get the machine back up?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It already looks like a somewhat new T39 control retrofit that is on it. Problem is someone went apes#!t cutting the wires that go from the centroid cabinet to the machine. Thanks for the PDF I'll go through it and report back.
    www.decalpro.ca

This is the control cabinet that I have and the wires that were cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1364.jpg   100_1366.jpg   000_0013.jpg  
    www.decalpro.ca

Is that a Servo3IO? I can't quite make it out from here.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No, it is not a SERVO3IO. A SERVO3IO would not have enough inputs and outputs to run the Hardinge accessories.

This control has a SERVO1 drive and a PLCIO2 I/O unit. It probably dates from around 2005.

pimpbike: where in Canada are you located?

Hi I just got back from the cottage and haven't looked at the machine since my last post. I'm in Peterborough ON, why you ask? I sure am having a hard time finding 30 conductor 22awg wire to buy in small qty. Are there any online sources? I'm sure I'll find some when I go to Toronto in a few weeks...
    www.decalpro.ca

If you were in Western Canada, and your budget allowed for on-site professional assistance, I could help you get this machine running. For that matter, I could do so in Ontario as well, but the travel cost might get prohibitive.

If you can't find the necessary multi-conductor cable in Toronto, you might try contacting Centroid (814-353-9290, or [email protected]) and see if they still have some in stock.

Of course, there is no reason all those signals have to go in just one or two cables. You could use multiple runs of 8-conductor cable if that was easier to obtain. You just need to keep straight which signals are in which colors from which cable. Map it out carefully.