585,981 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma osp700m ERROR when tool is installed

Okuma osp700m ERROR when tool is installed

Hello, I have a okuma mill running the osp700m controller, the issue starts when we install a tool in the head, if there is no tool installed the mill starts, will change tools (empty tool holders) and run like normal, but as soon as we install a tool in the head the machine locks up and gives a error, manual says to see the special screen for more info, but I cant find any special screens.

What machine is this? There is a parameter on some machines that won't allow the spindle to turn unless there is a tool in the spindle (one of the bugs in the software on certain early Cadetmate machines was that even if you set the parameter in the "man-readable" parameters to allow the machine to run with no tool, it still wouldn't work). Anyway, there is a switch that detects unclamp, then one that detects clamp and then one that is at the very end of the unclamp cylinder that detects when no tool is in the spindle (if there is a tool, the drawbar doesn't retract all the way because the tool holder bottoms out on the spindle taper; when there is no tool, the drawbar can fully retract making the other switch). I have seen where these switches get set incorrectly and when there is no tool, it actually goes past the "no tool switch" but when there is a tool, it is going back far enough to make that "no tool switch". I actually had a customer once who "rebuilt" the unclamp cylinder and had wired the switches incorrectly, so the "no tool" was where the "clamp" switch was set and vice-versa. You should be able to look at the schematics and go through diagnostics (check data/PLC data), looking at the inputs to figure out which switches are making when there is no tool in the spindle and when there is a tool in the spindle and verify if the correct signals are on under the right circumstances. Let me know what machine you have; I probably have the schematics and can help identify the inputs and what you need to look for. BTW, as for the "special screen", I believe you have to look at the "diagnosis" screen, which you will find when you hit the "Extend" softkey (I think diagnosis is F4 or F5, can't remember). Go to that page and there it will give you the specific diagnostic message.

1996 okuma cadet mate ming machine 20 x 40 inch

Under the cover you will see proximity sensors above the spindle that detect the clamp, unclamp and "no tool exists" conditions. I have the schematics in the office, I'll be back in there Tuesday late morning; I can look up the diagnostics and let you know where you need to be looking in check data for the signals.

Is there any firmware updates that can be done to this machine? or a new version of the software?

it could be very simple. Does the control knows the tool is installed there? check if there is tool in spindle - in the control.
    have no idea about "special" screen. It could be machine specification, but it has nothing to do with LS status check. All inputs/ outputs could be checked on check data screen.

OK, on the Cadetmate with the OSP700 control (I am using Pub #0005, January 1997 since that is the drawing version I have closest to your vintage - this is the schematic for the machines with serial #346-430), on page 28 it shows the (3) proximity sensors SQ1 (tool clamp), SQ2 (tool unclamp) and SQ9 (tool not in spindle). Check these inputs in diagnostics (either check data or PLC data if your machine had the PLC data page - original ones didn't; however, the PLC data pages might not be enabled, need to check NC Opt. Par #56, bits 6&7 to see if you have that option; I would doubt it being that your machine is 1996). Regardless, you will definitely want to pull the spindle head cover off and look at the switches and see if one came loose, if the bracket is loose, something out of adjustment, etc.