585,914 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any recommendations for repair on Torq cut?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or can recommend a repair service for an old Torq cut mill? I have just had the BMDC board and power supply repaired thinking it was the problem. (see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...3_issue_-.html )

But the problem persists. I'm floundering now as to what to do next. If you have an idea, please share. Or, would anyone know of a repair service to recommend that will service Kansas, USA?

Thanks

Do the drives come ON? Exactly what will it do and will not do? Our ability to help you depends on a great degree to your ability.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here is what happens when I turn the machine on.

Everything is normal at start-up. The axis will home just as they should. At this point I usually get a 'Re-load tools' error. So, I go to re-load tools and when I press the button to do so, I just hear a click from the back box. If I go to the Jog menu, nothing will move by pressing the + or - buttons, however all axis will move with the hand wheel. I try to enter coordinates to move to and nothing happens. If I go into the maintenance page, I can re-load tools and move the axis. I can also jog the axis and run a program. I also put an update disk in thinking maybe one of the files got corrupted, but that changed nothing. But, I have not wiped the hard drive and done a full re-install yet.

Here is what all I have done. The power supply for the CIB has been replaced. The BMDC board has been sent off for repair and is now installed. However, in the B3T.EXE diagnostic program for the BMDC I still get the same ADC error that I had before I sent the board off for repair.

I find it odd that I can do everything from the maintenance page, but not from the regular pages.

Does your feed potentiometer is set to more than 0%??? If you cannot jog axis with + and - button but you can with the wheel, it seems that the feed potentiometer is set to 0%. Just a quick tought...

I can jog with the +/- buttons in the maintenance page. In the regular pages, I cannot do anything but home axis and jog with the hand wheel. Example, if I enter T2M6, I just hear a click from the back box.

By feed potentiometer, I assume that is the feed adjustment? It is set at 100%.

This issue started right in the middle of a program running.

I just found another thing. I tried pushing the reset button to reboot the computer, and nothing. It has worked recently. Could that somehow be connected to the problem?

I don't think so. Maybe the BIOS have been changed. If you hold the reset button for 5 sec, it should reboot.

Holding the reset button for 5 seconds did nothing. Have to see if it's the button itself or bios.

Reset problem was that I put the jumper in the wrong place, so that is no longer an issue.

It just seems odd to me that things will run on the maintenance page but not on the regular pages. A software issue?

Also you said Torque Cut and CIB. The Torque Cut-22 did not use a control in a box.
    But the TC 1 through 4 did. All of this is important because it changes what is inside the machine such as types of motors and drives.
    I would be entertaining double checking CMOS settings and "nuking" the hard drive and reloading it to eliminate software errors as a source of your problems.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well, the solution was too simple. At least, I'm guessing what happened. I had to take out the cpu card 4 times. Once to replace the cpu fan and 3 times to get the reset on the right jumper wires. The last time I re-seated the card, I tried to do things on the machine and it all worked. The lesson for me is to clean all the contacts on all the cards first. After all, that cpu card had been in place since new in 1997.

It still baffles me why I could do everything from the maintenance page but not from the regular pages. Oh well. It runs now.

Thanks for all the responses. These forums are a great resource.