584,830 active members*
6,029 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extract edges

A friend wants me to draw up a motor cover that is made from 1x1x.125 angle iron and expanded metal. He wants a 3D drawing on the print as well as the dimension drawing.

So I started out with the frame as a solid and tried the extract edge feature but I do not know how to get rid of the color of the solid to show the extracted edges. Can anyone tell me how to do this. If it is in the help file, I missed it.

Also does anyone know where I can find cad drawings of expanded metals that I can import and save the tims of drawing my own?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie

you need to open a new layer befor extracting the edges make sure the new layer is active befor extracting the edges then just unchech the visibility on the solids layer and youll be left with just the edges

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    A friend wants me to draw up a motor cover that is made from 1x1x.125 angle iron and expanded metal. He wants a 3D drawing on the print as well as the dimension drawing.

So I started out with the frame as a solid and tried the extract edge feature but I do not know how to get rid of the color of the solid to show the extracted edges. Can anyone tell me how to do this. If it is in the help file, I missed it.

Also does anyone know where I can find cad drawings of expanded metals that I can import and save the tims of drawing my own?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie
    Ernie

After you do the extract edges just click on "blank" and then select the solid and right click and the solid will be hidden

Here is one link for extruded Aluminium section, you can download the CAD as a 3D STEP, Solidworks 2008 or Inventor, suggest you use the STEP file option if you want to use any of these downloads.

MiniTec T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusions. Modular Aluminum Profiles For Custom Construction From Aluminum Extrusions. Custom Clean Rooms, Ergonomic Workstations, Belt Conveyors, and Machine Guards Are But A Few Applications.

Below is an image of a STEP file I downloaded from the link above and extracted the edges from it then copied it and "blanked" the solid to show the wire frame

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank Solid.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	166561

You can see there is now a solid and a wire version of the part

Hope that helps

Regards

It is also easy to blank out a solid by hitting the "S" key. It toggles visibility on and off.

AS previously mention, when extracting edges create a new layer and choose your color before doing it.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Unhappy

Guys,

Thanks for the replies and tips. I find the blanking method in the later versions of BC to be very unhandy. I liked the way it was done in v20. I do not like the way it works now as a toggle switch. What I expect to see when I use blank is that the selected entity goes away and when I use unblank it comes back. Simple. But no, BC has to complicate things.

Also, I don't know if any of you guys have heard of my "zooming" problem? I have a situation where when I select, for instant, break many and move the cursor into the workspace, everything zooms to the extent that I cannot see anything. I can select zoom fit all it comes back but if I move the cursor back into the work area it zooms again.

All this is very frustrating. As far as I am concerned my v23 and v24 are as buggy as an ant hill. I wish that they were as stable as v20 then I would be all set. I have had several people from BC try and resolve my problem to no avail. This is getting so bad that I am going to have to chuck Bobcad and learn another software. At my age, 79 , I do not need these problems.

ERnie