584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Finished my Stirling engine

Finished my Stirling engine

Some of you guys (Bubba, Me2, McGyver, HuFlungDung, One of Many, ESjaavik, RotarySMP, and Bluesman) gave me valuable advice in the early stages of fabrication, so thanks. Incidentally, I was never able to cut anything, not even Delrin, with that parting tool.

This design is an Alpha style Stirling that is adapted from designs by this guy:
    http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~khirata/english/make.htm
    ...Although I have no idea how he carried out some of the operations he mentions only in passing, like glueing the syringe barrels into the chassis. The only way I could do this without ruining the barrel involved adding machining steps.

I've put together some footage of it running:
    http://zorin.org/share/Stirling_Engine_Web.mov

Thanks again!

Very impressive video there Ubarch,

The fact that you over came all obstacles is a reward to your motivation towards a running engine. And a neat little engine you ended up with.
    BIG Congrat's to you from the PNW!

There is always time down the road to learn where you can use a parting tool.....for now, you learned what won't work. Now you can start to speculate whether it is the machine, material or operator that is inducing the troubles. Heheh!

DC

Congrats, Ubarch.

Does it 'feel like' it produces a little bit of useful torque? I've been pondering whether to make a serious attempt at building some model of Stirling if it would produce useful power. I'm vaguely imagining a Stirling engine powered by the heat from a pellet stove, which would generate electricity to run the fans of the stove itself, thus providing a self contained system, after an initial jumpstart off of battery power. Any comments on what route to take?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think the best acelleration I've gotten from it has been the starting RPM (me flicking it with my finger) to 450rpm in about 8 seconds, 15 seconds average. I haven't actually weighed the flywheel, but I could estimate the torque from that. I would guess the flywheel weighs a couple hundred grams. Those two coins are cast iron. So, given that, yes. The guy that made the models I patterned this after uses his versions to power little boats and such, too.

If a Stirling were powering fans that increased its own heat input... Would that be like the Stirling equivalent of a turbocharger?

If I had to remake a part, I'd do the crankshaft out of steel, put some bearings in there out of a hard drive (very high quality), and be very, very picky about balancing it. The guy who made the original designs that I based mine off of claimed his Stirling with bearings achieved 3000rpm.