585,978 active members*
4,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Z-axis fault 163 over current - HELP PLEASE

Z-axis fault 163 over current - HELP PLEASE

HAAS VF-2 1995 nice machine no previous problems

Was powered up but not running anything. Heard a noise that sounded like a fuse blowing - not very loud but sort of a pop. Didn't even think it came from the machine - seemed like it was my compressor so looked over there for trouble but found nothing but when I walked over the HAAS I had an alarm that will not clear.

#163 Z over current or drive fault

Inside the cabinet the LED is blinking labeled M26 LE 23

Can't get anything to work at all - no manual jog on any axis. Tried over ride zero position and still nothing moves.

I am suspect that maybe a wire in the wire way that goes up and down constantly may have shorted?

Is there a way to safely switch axis and see if alarm goes away or changes?

Long weekend so no help from HAAS tech until Tuesday.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not much help here..but did you ck the fuses in the machine? The pop might have been one of them blowing.
    I feel your pain..this crap always happens Fri night
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    Not much help here..but did you ck the fuses in the machine? The pop might have been one of them blowing.
    I feel your pain..this crap always happens Fri night
    Gary
    Gary - that was my first thought but the only fuses I find are the pair on each of the axis boards and they check out OK.

My second thought was a wire shorting in the big black wireway that is constantly moving (on top of the machine) and possibly shaved a wire to ground. There doesn't seem to be a way to open it or see into it.

I think the flashing LED tells me something but don't know what.

I am tempted to swap axis cards or wires but would like some reassurance that it is OK to do so and the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeagle10x View Post
    Gary - that was my first thought but the only fuses I find are the pair on each of the axis boards and they check out OK.

My second thought was a wire shorting in the big black wireway that is constantly moving (on top of the machine) and possibly shaved a wire to ground. There doesn't seem to be a way to open it or see into it.

I think the flashing LED tells me something but don't know what.

I am tempted to swap axis cards or wires but would like some reassurance that it is OK to do so and the best way to do it.
    Check your axis cards and see if one has a glowing LED on the bottom. Really sounds like you blew one of the big transistors on the Z drive card.

You A axis card may be compatible with your Z axis, but check before swapping.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Check your axis cards and see if one has a glowing LED on the bottom. Really sounds like you blew one of the big transistors on the Z drive card.

You A axis card may be compatible with your Z axis, but check before swapping.

Mike
    No other LEDs are on. I just found three fuses in holders and checked those - one was blown - thought I was on to something but replaced and still have the problem but the replacement did not blow so I don't know why it was blown in the first place. The fuse was not one on the axis cards it was down at the bottom of the main card - no idea what it does but it didn't make any difference to the machine.

Solved the problem

After checking fuses one more time, I found one that checked OK when I had power on (didn't realize I had it on the first go around at checking) but not OK with it off - pulled and checked - definitely bad. Replaced and everything is working - just cut a few parts.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeagle10x View Post
    After checking fuses one more time, I found one that checked OK when I had power on (didn't realize I had it on the first go around at checking) but not OK with it off - pulled and checked - definitely bad. Replaced and everything is working - just cut a few parts.
    That's great! Glad to hear one be easy.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Ahh the fuse..at least you are running now.
    Gary