585,969 active members*
4,556 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controller software dilemma

Hi,
    i just got a new machine, and i came with the optional software winpcnc USB, that has a USB motion controller.
    The idea was to use it on a laptop, and be able to also use Mach3 on the same machine with the same USB motion controller.
    After trying it, it only worked with winpcnc and not mach3; the company, that originally told me i could use both programs with it, acknowledged that in fact i can't run Mach3 on the USB mc, only through a parallel port.
    Then i will have to get together a new desktop for it, and not have a motion controller when using Mach3.
    So now i want to return Winpcnc USB for a refund, and get a cheap XP desktop (like a P4), do a fresh OS install and have it only to run Mach3 through the Lpt.
    I only have a doubt about this: will it run as smooth as Winpcnc with the motion controller or can i get some uneven or jittery movement?
    Mach3 is so much more full featured than Winpcnc, that i really would like to use it, but then if the movement is not very even, the final result, what really counts, might be worse. And i don't like the idea to ALSO get a smoothstepper; i was told by the machine's manufacturer they were offering smoothsteppers in the past but stopped because of several problems. It might not work well with the motor controller i got with the machine. In fact, for the motor controller, they specify parallel connection or USB connection with winpcnc USB.
    What would you do? I don't have a lot of time to decide to return Winpcnc USB or not and it's more than $400.
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    D.

There are other USB options for Mach, Dynomotion for one, which will actually give you more than Mach?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al for the quick reply.
    Since i'm a beginner in CNC, and was just bitten by 'unconpatibility' between the USB controller and Mach3, i fear that if i get a controller that works with Mach3, it might not work with the motor controller i have with the machine. They told me i can either use Winpcnc USB or direct parallel port.
    Hence my idea to get a dedicated desktop with a parallel port to run Mach3; this should work with the motor controller, but i fear a not so smooth motion...
    If i return Winpcnc USB, to get a different USB controller supported by Mach3, and run into problems with my motor controller, i'll be on my own to figure things out, and i might end up spending even more money and precious time.
    Is it really that hard to get consistently smooth motion out of the parallel port?
    Is the output of a USB controller, like the kflop, different than a real parallel port, so can i really have problems with the motor control?
    Thanks again for the help; this is so hard at the beginning...
    D.

If your machine can run from Mach3 and the parallel port, than it should run from any Mach3 compatible motion controller. They both output step and direction signals.
    The vast majority of Mach3 users use the parallel port, but performance can vary greatly from PC to PC. It's impossible to say how well it will work without trying it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry,
    the only things that worry me, being a newbie, is that, your words, 'it SHOULD run...' or, in the smoothstepper page: 'While 100% compatibility is not guaranteed, the amount of compatibility is very high.'
    I might end up giving it a try anyways, and take my chances.
    The package i have now and plan to return is both more expensive and less capable than smoothstepper-Mach3 combo, but it IS working... Can't afford to keep it while also getting the other combo though - either one or the other.
    Thanks again,
    D.

If interested take a look at the smoothstepper product reveiw at cncmentor.com
    http://cncmentor.com - open source sharing community and CAD Library

Thanks everybody,
    with so many positive opinions, i have a smoothstepper on it's way.
    Since postage is going to take a while, i'll get a basic XP desktop anyways (got a very nice price on a P4 with 2GB ram) and try using mach on the PP meanwhile.
    I hope to be up and running this weekend, and add the SS as soon as it gets here.
    BTW, i have searched for it but did not find much: any tip on making an enclosure for it?
    Thanks,
    D.