585,949 active members*
4,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What schools teach machining?

I have a younger brother who is about to graduate high school. He wants to learn to become a machinist and program CNC machines. It's very hard to find schools that actually teach this stuff.

Does anybody know of any schools in the northeast that teach or specialize in machinist trade?

I have seen some county colleges offer basic machining courses which teach you the fundamentals of manual machines, such as turning, milling and grinding. But the machines they use are very outdated, manual, and really don't offer much in the way of CNC machines. I would like to find a school that uses more up to date machines so my brother can learn the trade to eventually open up his own machine shop.

My family owns a business in which we design and sell parts to large companies so we always are farming out machine work to different shops.. we don't do production, we do all custom onesy twosy type of jobs.

Com college should help with the basics wich you need before CNC Math skill's are a must espicaly Trig if your going to do CNC Cad program's make people lazy simple drafting skills are also helpfull You need to know how to make chip's by hand first I think Wyotec has a machinest program and a campus in the east the millwright union aprentis program might be an option also It also help's I one likes the work and want's to do it get him looking around on this site and see if he likes what he sees Good luck Kevin

No Wyoteck only does like automotive mechanic and stuff like that.. not machinist courses.

In Oklahoma you can find Vo-tech schools that still teach cnc classes. Granted some only have older BP type machines without tool changers.

Our state uni has an ext. in Okmulgee, Ok that has a lot of stuff.
    http://www.osu-okmulgee.edu/academic...manufacturing/

Course of study:
    http://www.osu-okmulgee.edu/academic...n_of_study.php

I did a few google searches for a few different states and got listings.

Later,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Taylor View Post
    Com college should help with the basics wich you need before CNC Math skill's are a must espicaly Trig if your going to do CNC
    Don't worry about spelling, reading or writing.

Cad program's make people lazy
    ...and money

You need to know how to make chip's by hand first
    There's one for Mythbusters.

machinest
    :withstupi

Hapsmo...your going to feel real bad when you learn that guy is dislexic. He writes just like my old college roomate, who was dislexic, and is now a high school teacher. Although I have to admit he's a big fan of the apostrophe, but not so much on any other puncuation mark. Anyway I gained all my experience on CNC's without making a chip manually. I've programmed at the control and now on a CAD/CAM system. I'm definitely not lazy, busy, but not lazy.

I apologize Kevin,.... and please,.....go ahead and (nuts)

well, lets try to bring this post back to its original topic. I would suggest trying Lansing Community College in Michigan. They have a New (huge) shop full of New Hass machines. They have courses ranging from beginner to advanced. They also had cad/cam classes as well. I enjoyed my time there. the faculty is great.

squale,

I would suggest pulling up all the college websites and getting the course guides and taking a look. I'm thinking community/junior colleges are more geared towards machining and 4-year schools will be focused on engineering.

Not sure if you want out of state or not, but I'm in Michigan and I've taken machining at Mott Community College. There shop is all manual machines.

I've also gone to Macomb Community College and they have a HAAS setup that sounds like the LCC one described just above. Between each school Macomb had a much better setup, but they were partnered with HAAS so it's a given.

They also have classes in ArtCAM which is how I found them. I think it really depends if your brother plans to go out of state. Or where he lives.

It's really just a matter of looking at school sites and then take a trip. Talk to previous students and the teachers etc. If he's that serious he MAY want to look into Mechanical Engineering.

As for learning you can probably find simulation software as a lot of this stuff can be self taught. Oh besides this site, there is a magazine called Digital Machinist which is pretty good.

There are also videos about machining around on the Internet as well.

-Matt
    -Matt
    CNC Blog:http://cutterscove.blogspot.com/

Cad program's make people lazy

Then you will either be a button pusher or starve to death.
    You can't do what I do without CAD/CAM

Tell your brother goto school for atleast an associates in engineering, take as much CAD and math as he can and get a job in a machine shop while he's in school. Even if he starts his carrer sweeping floors, he will be pulled through the ranks even with just an associates in engineering. And don't work for yourself, make life easy.

Machining Schools

Here is a program that offers machining and welding programs in Pittsburgh, PA It is called Manufacturing 2000

http://www.ncsquared.com/

Greg

Minnesota has several schools that offer machining, One in Anoka that I went to 2 year program first learn manuals then CNC's lathes mills, good course, I know another 1 by MPLS. and ALEX, those are just the ones I know off hand, if minnesota interests you let me know and I will get you some more info.
    Good Luck
    kling8

cnc vertical machining center supplied for professional school

Here supply mini cnc vertical machining center for school use and homemade use.
    any interest, go by
    MSN:[email protected]
    or Skype: eddiecnc

I suggest you to look into this site. They have an extensive list of schools that your brother can check out for the particular class he is interested in. They have welding classes of different types, and the schools are very informative and updated with the tools and latest research studies.

Technical Education | Rochester Technology & Manufacturing Association (RTMA)

If in the Rochester NY area these guys have plenty of info

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    I have a younger brother who is about to graduate high school. He wants to learn to become a machinist and program CNC machines. It's very hard to find schools that actually teach this stuff.

Does anybody know of any schools in the northeast that teach or specialize in machinist trade?

I have seen some county colleges offer basic machining courses which teach you the fundamentals of manual machines, such as turning, milling and grinding. But the machines they use are very outdated, manual, and really don't offer much in the way of CNC machines. I would like to find a school that uses more up to date machines so my brother can learn the trade to eventually open up his own machine shop.

My family owns a business in which we design and sell parts to large companies so we always are farming out machine work to different shops.. we don't do production, we do all custom onesy twosy type of jobs.

A little more info.

Sorry about the shortness of my last post. You got the last 5 minutes of lunch break!😎
    Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    Do realize that is some locations being a machinist and a CNC programmer is two different jobs. As far as actually finding schools that teach such stuff it is a matter of getting the right resources to point you in the right direction.

You might try this link: http://www.uscollegesearch.org/tool-...-colleges.html. There are probably others.
    There might be, but my memory is really thin here.
    I have seen some county colleges offer basic machining courses which teach you the fundamentals of manual machines, such as turning, milling and grinding. But the machines they use are very outdated, manual, and really don't offer much in the way of CNC machines.
    That is because they are teaching a different type of program. The reality is you won't start out in an apprentice ship program using the bosses brand new CNC machine. Beyond that I strongly believe that one needs to get one hands wet before moving up to automation. Some will disagree, that is their right, but if you really expect to be successful you need a wide amount of experience.
    I would like to find a school that uses more up to date machines so my brother can learn the trade to eventually open up his own machine shop.
    It has been so long I simply can't offer any up to date suggestions.
    Note if your brother wants to start his own business I think he is off on the wrong track. He should be working on an engineering degree. Again many will disagree, but the people that are really successful in this business are usually the brighter of the bunch and well educated. In the end he can pick up much of the machining knowledge through vocational education, work study or other classical methods. If not a full blown engineering degree at the very least a two year engineering technology degree, possibly with a minor in machining technologies.

I hope this helps some. Leaving high school is a ***** in some ways. People often find out that the career they thought they where interested in just isn't working out for them.