585,733 active members*
4,734 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

parameter for tool lenght compensation

I was wondering if anyone who uses horizontal boring mills ever came across the need to have the tool length compensation done with the column instead of from the spindle and what parameter you would change on a fanuc 30i If i was a tool builder it would be a no brainer to have it set up where the tool length would be compensated in w. the w axis in my case is the column and z axis is the spindle after that you can play with your g54 offsets to bring out z =spindle for clearances anyone else out ther going thru this I would love to discuss this thank you

I run a G&L bar with a siemen's control so I'm not sure it would be the same. I haven't used it too much but have a couple of times. There is a GEOAX command which will make W=Z and Z=Z_1. This will put the tool comp on the W axis and leave the spindle stick out where ever you need it. Hope this helps, if not pm me I might have some other ideas.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Fanuc allows the G43 to act on a different axis. You could setup a macro to run in the place of G43 to offset the W-axis by the tool offset value.... If done right, your part programs would not need to change. I did something similar to offset the Z coordinates when W was moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Myerswaynem View Post
    You could setup a macro to run in the place of G43 to offset the W-axis....
    I concur with this approach. I would have the G43 offset the W by referring to a stored value in the current tool length wear offset. That would give you most flexibility for each individual tool.

DP

Quote Originally Posted by Myerswaynem View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Fanuc allows the G43 to act on a different axis. You could setup a macro to run in the place of G43 to offset the W-axis by the tool offset value.... If done right, your part programs would not need to change. I did something similar to offset the Z coordinates when W was moved.
    There are three types of Tool Length Offset available, type A,B and C. The type is specified by setting bits 0 and 1 of parameter 5001, and applies as follows:
    Type A = Tool Length Offset along the Z axis
    Type B = Tool Length Offset along the X,Y or Z axes, specified by plane selection G codes G17 to G19 inclusive and with the use of the axis address.
    Type C = Tool Length Offset as specified by the axis address.

Regards,

Bill

i WOULD LIKE TO USE TYPE C STYLE TO SPECIFIY THE W AXIS I AM GOING TO TRY TO CHANGE BITS 0 AND 1 AND SPECIFY G43 H1 AND HOW WOULD I SPECIFY W ? I WILL PLAY WITH IT A BIT AND LET YALL KNOW WHAT I COME UP WITH