585,712 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Smoothstepper (ethernet)

Smoothstepper (ethernet)

Anyone using the ethernet version of Smoothstepper and care to comment on how it was to configure, how it is worked for you, etc ? Or PM me

thanks

I have one sitting on my desk, that I need to find time to install and setup, might be a few weeks before I get to it.
    You minimally need an additional 5V supply for the smoothstepper, from what I can see configuration should not be overly arduous but it does require a very recent version of Mach which could be a limitation for some.
    I'm looking at using it to provide an input for an MPG and a probe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought an ESS when I discovered that the parallel driver would not work with Windows 7 64-bit and that a PCI-E 1X version of the parallel port card ran me a fourth of the cost of the ESS.

I'm running the ESS attached to a PMDX-126. It installed without a hitch. I am powering the ESS from the P1 and P2 ports on the PMDX-126. It works like a drop-in replacement for the parallel ports.

The only hitch I have run into, is enabling homing on a slaved axis (X & A on my CRP-4848). Greg from Warp9 has confirmed that the problem exists and it's at the top of his list to fix. Hopefully we will see a fix soon. Until then, I have been experimenting with alternate homing solutions using PMDX's proximity switches.

I like the ESS and would recommend it. Take that recommendation with a grain of salt since I'm a complete newbie and I'm learning all of this on the fly <grin>

thanks guys.

rpovey - how come you are looking to use the ess for a mpg and probe input instead of just using your pc with mach?

I am using my PC with Mach the smooth stepper is just a motion controller, but it happens to have additional inputs that I will use for the mpg.
    I could just put in an additional parallel port card, but I'd rather use Ethernet than a long parallel cable, and it'll let me run the drivers with a higher micro stepping value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD