585,981 active members*
4,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Creating elliptical surfaces/toolpaths

Creating elliptical surfaces/toolpaths

Hello all, Have browsed the forum and think its great. Relatively new to MC X5 and am having a tough time with something and I hope you can give me some pointers.

I'm trying to create a raised ellipse, say 1.5 x 1 and about .2 high. Imagine a slice of an egg but not quite in perfect half. When I try to do a revolved surface I get some wild helixes and a central, round surface. If I so a rough and finish parallel toolpath on it, the tool follows these wild paths way off the surface of the ellipse and creates something more akin to a dough-boy helmet versus a domed ellipse. A swept surface is similar.

I've about hit the wall on this and am looking for some tips. I can do regular circles just fine, but these ellipses seem to be different beast. In short, I need to make a .2 raised 1.5 x 1 ellipse and the corresponding toolpath.

Anything is helpful; I've already gleaned lots of great stuff off this site.

Best.

Removed...Not MC Related

I used net on geo that you see on screen - when it came to pick chain I used single - did left side first and mirrored To the right. When I tried to net lower right and took off shading gave me weird surface? That's why I mirrored .
    Let me know if it's good. Thanks

Tony DiSanto | Application Engineer - MasterCam Instructor Prism Engineering, Inc. | 455 Business Center Drive | Suite 225 | Horsham | PA | 19044
    Phone: 215-784-0800 | Fax: 215-784-0945

Hmm...I am still getting the odd net lines with that. At times I can get it very close, but if I specify an ellipse as a base, then an ellipse as the top and an arc between the two I would think it could interpolate it ok. I often get one side ok (as you seem to see) and the other side the net lines go off the part...odd....

I still have not figured out yet what you mean by "raised ellipse". Something like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

HI, as far as the raised ellipse, just hold an egg in your hand and imagine a plane slicing off a bit. You will have an elliptical contour but with a raised/domed surface. I'm sure there is a real name for this, I just don't know it.

I ended up using net and drawing a very small ellipse at the top of my part and then liking the two ellipses with arcs and that got me where I needed to be, not perfect but pretty good.

Thanks for the ideas and help!