584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Table build from Grunblau design

About 3 months ago I ventured out to build a cnc table. My uncle was building one at the time and had done lots of research. I liked his but it was to small, so I fell across Brians MDF design and was floor to what the potential could be. I have modified his design a little but not that much. Here are a few things that are different. I shortened the length to 6' versus 101" long. I never would have imagined the price difference in 72" and 101" acme screw would cost. Next I went with 1/2" acme rods instead of 5/8". This was because monies was tight so I had to compromise. So I will have to let you know how that turns out. I might have so whip.. I hope not. I went with a Nema 34 frame motors for all axis'. The y-axis has a 425 oz., x-axis and z-axis both have 300 oz.. I had some others parts laying around, like 1 1/2", 5/8" Thompson rods and bearings, Which I incorporated into the design of the Z-axis and the y-axis. I still used his design for the x-axis only due to I did not have any big enough material to span the 48" across. I am please with the smoothness of his design, which I hope I am happy with the y-axis Thompsons. Right now they are a bit rusty and drag a little so I am in the process of sanding which I hope fixes that questionable problem. I am at the point now of attaching the limit switches, junction boxes, and e-chain rail guide for all axis. I hope to use Brians cable carrier design when its all said and done. Then it is prep time for paint. I am in the process of saving for the purchase of my electronics. I also am thinking about putting a 1.5k water cooled spindle and VFD drive for cutting head. I have a raidator and pump picked out, but can't wait til I can get everything So for now that is what I got. I have loaded every picture I have taken since the beginning. If there are questions, thoughts or ideas arise hit me up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutouts #2.jpg   Cutouts.jpg   Full Table view.jpg   Gantry Construction.jpg  

Gantry Leftside.jpg   Gantry rearside.jpg   Gantry Rightside.jpg   Gantry.jpg  

Nema 34 Motors.jpg   Table cutouts.jpg   Table layout.jpg   Table Thompson rods.jpg  

Table Torsion Structure.jpg   Torsion Box layout.jpg   Torsion side cuts.jpg   x-axis acme alignment.jpg  

x-axis bearing setup.jpg   x-axis motor setup.jpg   Y-axis trasmission #2.jpg   Y-axis trasmission #3.jpg  

Y-axis trasmission #4.jpg   Y-axis trasmission.jpg   Z-axis #2.jpg   Z-axis #3.jpg  

Z-axis #4.jpg   Z-axis #5.jpg   Z-axis acme alignment.jpg   Z-axis acme setup #2.jpg  

Z-axis acme setup.jpg   Z-axis bearing lineup.jpg   Z-axis final.jpg   Z-axis motor setup.jpg  

Z-axis.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_fl View Post
    I have modified his design a little but not that much.
    Looking good! I'll be interested in seeing how all of those modifications work out! Those motors look huge! Keep us posted!

Brian

Great looking build! Brian has definately set the bar with his machines!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Glad I found this one, I am just starting out on my Grunblau build and I enjoyed seeing yours. I too will be modding mine somewhat mainly the length due to space. I would love to keep it at full length but I simply dont have the space. I will be using rack and pinion for the X and Y axis. Great job!!

Thank you for responding to my build. The project is still going. It is getting ready for a good paint job. Please share your ideas on the rack and pinon idea. Very interested to see. Good luck on your build and please post pics.

I have started a build thread for my machine. Not much to see right now but its coming along. Im still working out the details for the R and P but I think what Im planning will work.......I hope!!

Hows your build going? Are you still doing the rack and pinion? Any pics?

I did manage to get some more done to it but not much. I have been so busy its taken me away from the build. I do hope to finish it this month sometime though. I have some pics I will try to post this weekend if I can, the rack and pinion is working fine after some slight mods.

Hello everyone... It's been awhile since I have updated post. I have made a short video (Less the 10 min) going over what my system and table look like. It has been an adventure. In my original post I stated I upgraded a few things on the table. All was well for a bit.!! To say the least I ran into some problems. I think I am on course now.. If I can give you some advice using USED ITEMS.. (like new) Is not always the way to go.

Some of the websites are as follows:
    http://www.dumpstercnc.com/
    Tool Position Setting
    Brian Oltrogge | Grünblau Design Studio | MDF3790
    Ekstrom Carlson