584,841 active members*
4,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > importing and sewing part

importing and sewing part

I am having problems importing a solidworks file into sprut...it looks like it just sees the solid part as a face...therefore I decided to export to an IGS file and then import the IGS into Sprut. It looks "better" because I can see the general geomtry, but there appears to be gaps in the part (Sprut only...IGS reimported into Solidworks with no problems) and also the large radius on the top surface is showing up as a couple of straight lines.

Any advice on how to sew the faces and into the original form?

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul - milling since March 2012 - Solidworks/HSMExpress/Tormach1100 user

Hi Paul,
    I can't open your .sldprt file, I have an older version of SolidWorks than yours. So I can't see what the original solid model looks like. But, I did import the .igs file into SprutCam and it looks complete to me, kind of a weird model but it appears to be all there... but again I don't know what the original SW solid model looks like
    I have attached a screen cap of your .igs file as it looks in my SC. Does it look complete? If it does, maybe your graphics is the culprit, just a shot in the dark?
    Gerry

PS
    I always export out of SW an iges file of my solid model than import that into SC

Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for looking at this...I usually hit the Sprut menu bar direct in solidworks and it converts to IGS and opens up Sprut in one step...

Well, YESTERDAY, I did this, and had problems as mentions, and in fact, do you know when sprut tallys the faces during the import process? Well, yesterday, it counted only 1 face...today, I try to make some screen shots for you, and it looks a lot better and counts 29 faces. It looks pretty good, but I still think there is something wacky with the slight domed surface. That is, I really can't tell if it is there or not.

I have a Word file attached with screen shots. I then closed that out, and re-imported the IGS from yesterday, and it did reproduce the broken corner between the top surface and the side....this is the last screen shot.

Maybe it is only the graphics card? ....but not the counting of only 1 surface as I stated above....I downloaded the latest version of Sprut yesterday before these attempts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Paul - milling since March 2012 - Solidworks/HSMExpress/Tormach1100 user