585,762 active members*
4,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Fanuc Series 31i controller question

Fanuc Series 31i controller question

We are having problems burning up drills on the job we are currently running. I would like to set it up so when the machine reaches a certain horsepower or thrust limit it stops drilling before it burns up. Is there a way to do that with a Fanuc Series 31i controller? This is a brand new machine (Hyundai 1000mm horizontal machining center), I haven't been able to find anything in the book on this...

Thanks for any help.

Our 31i has a tool moniter accessed through the custom1 screen. So, yes, there is a way. It has been created by the MTB, however (Doosan). I think it would only change the tool after it reaches a certain threshold with the current tool - it wouldn't halt the cycle.

So, maybe Hyundai can give you a similar option.

DP

Another option that has just occurred to me are real-time macro interrupts (//ZDO's) , though I haven't used them myself, there should be a chapter in your manual. I suspect that you could write your own routine that jumps out of the loop if a condition is met. You would need to find out if there is a RTM variable associated with the spindle load meter. I haven't found anything on RTMs on any of the forums, sorry.