585,991 active members*
6,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-2ss Spindle making odd noises

VF-2ss Spindle making odd noises

I know this is going to be impossible to actually diagnose online and without video. All I'm looking for is possibilities to look in to. I've tried to take video, but the sound never comes out well enough to be worth anything.

Machine is an '07 VF-2ss, pretty low hours and NEVER crashed hard (I'm the original owner). I run the warm up program every morning without fail.

The spindle (or something in that vicinity) is making an odd noise. It sounds a lot like a shop vac when you plug the hose. I can still hear the normal noise that it's always made... this noise is on top of that. It started as an occasional rattling type sound, so I pulled the covers and looked for anything that was loose. Nothing. The noise is now fairly consistent and comes and goes at seemingly random intervals, and making me nervous.

The spindle load has not increased at all, surface finishes have not changed, size tolerances have not changed (still holding +/-.0003" on an interpolated bore that I have past experience with).

Could this be the TSC coupler / seal? Bearings? Motor? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    I know this is going to be impossible to actually diagnose online and without video. All I'm looking for is possibilities to look in to. I've tried to take video, but the sound never comes out well enough to be worth anything.

Machine is an '07 VF-2ss, pretty low hours and NEVER crashed hard (I'm the original owner). I run the warm up program every morning without fail.

The spindle (or something in that vicinity) is making an odd noise. It sounds a lot like a shop vac when you plug the hose. I can still hear the normal noise that it's always made... this noise is on top of that. It started as an occasional rattling type sound, so I pulled the covers and looked for anything that was loose. Nothing. The noise is now fairly consistent and comes and goes at seemingly random intervals, and making me nervous.

The spindle load has not increased at all, surface finishes have not changed, size tolerances have not changed (still holding +/-.0003" on an interpolated bore that I have past experience with).

Could this be the TSC coupler / seal? Bearings? Motor? Something else?
    Check to see if the cooling fan at the top of the head has a build up of greasy, coolant gunk. (That's an official technical term )

After a while, the gunk will form on the inside ring of the fan and the blades can make noises similar to what you are describing. If so, clean the fan really good and see if that makes a difference. If not, then run the spindle with the covers off to help pinpoint the area where the noise is coming from.

Could be the belt, if it has one, I had a TM1-P that started making an odd noise. Had a tech come out, he took off the cover and made some adjustments (added shims). once the belt was riding true, the noise was gone.

I'll clean the fan, but that's not it. The noise 'moves' with the spindle RPM.

With the covers off, it's fairly hard to tell but it sounds like it is probably coming from underneath the silver colored box that is around the motor. Ofcourse it doesn't like to make these noises when trying to diagnose it. Looks like quite a job to take that box off, too.

Is it possible that I'm hearing the encoder belt? What is the tension supposed to be like for it?

I thought I would mention that the TSC pressure hasn't dropped at all, and there are no external coolant leaks.

Sounds like a bearing in the motor. I replaced the one on our 2005 vf2ss last year. Could also could be the rotary union that connects to the top of the motor for the TSC. I had one of those blow apart today on the our 2011 vf6ss.

Can you go in to more detail about both repairs? Did you have to buy a new motor, or can you put bearings in them? Is getting to the motor as big a job as it looks, or is it pretty simple once you start disconnecting hoses / wires?

On the vf2ss we just ordered a new motor from haas. The down time kills us, we are a 24/7 shop. Took me maybe 4 hrs to swap the motor out, put all the sheet metal back on, set the orientate spindle parameter. not too bad. The vf6 was still under warranty the first time rotary union went. Not this time though. I'm having one overnighted to me tonight. I get to tear into it first thing tomorrow.