585,994 active members*
4,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine to cut keys

I'm looking for a router that is capable of cutting keys as shown in this video.

Toyota Laser Key cut on a CNC Key Cutting Machine - YouTube

The site with the software to do this says about using routers

CNC Milling Machines - Cut Keys on a CNC Machine

Routers are similar to milling machines and can be used for the purpose of cutting keys. With a router the work piece will stay still and the cutter will move above it. If you are purchasing or building a router stay away from designs that use a clamp in cutter such as a dremel. A dremel type tool does not have the bearings required to mill. There are some that use more heavy duty spindles that may very well work fine. The more rigid the router and spindle the better.

Would a zenbot 1216 be suitable for this?
    Zenbot CNC Routers

Any recommendations of a desktop machine that would be capable of this as well as cutting plastic and wood?

LOL. The problem with key cutting is you have to know what pattern to cut to begin with. This is why most keys are copied on a key cutting machine, not on CNC. You can probably buy a used key cutting machine for under $400.

So, what do you plan to do, write your own macros and then measure the keys to input the parameters? Are you going with a probe to do your measuring for you? Any small bench top CNC mill would probably be capable. But, would it be the smart thing to do?

I have cut my own keys by clamping the original to a blank and using a hand file in about 10 to 15 minutes.

I will also be using it to cut other materials.

You can not find a key machine that cuts keys by code for $400. A machine for laser cut keys is even more expensive. Key Profile Maker - Cut Keys on a CNC Machine has software that can make key profiles.

I just want to make sure the machine I get will be rigid enough so there will be no errors in cutting a key.

It appears the reference you gave is what I was describing as a macro. I doubt they have all of the possible key profile combinations listed by VIN or lock code. You would still have to measure an existing key to get the data. Key cutting usually only needs to be precise to about +/-0.005", thus my reference about cutting keys by hand with a file. I would think most machines would be rigid enough to hold this tolerance. Whether they would be accurate enough is another matter. Good luck on your project.

If you still are interested in only cutting keys, look here: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kaba-Ilco-Manual-Machine-Mini-Mite/dp/B000ZH7D6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347579615&sr=8-3&keywords=key+cutting+machine]Kaba Ilco 008 Manual Key Machine,the "Mini-Mite" - Amazon.com[/ame]

Try little machine shop.

Little Machine Shop imports a small CNC mill that is likely capable of doing this task. The spindle speed might be a bit slow. It is however a mill not a router. Like wise TAIG and Sherline offer machines suitable for cutting keys. Again these are small mills and may not take on your other interests well.

One thing with the TAIG, Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes., and Sherlines is that you can find them used fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher6064 View Post
    I'm looking for a router that is capable of cutting keys as shown in this video.

Toyota Laser Key cut on a CNC Key Cutting Machine - YouTube

The site with the software to do this says about using routers

Would a zenbot 1216 be suitable for this?
    Zenbot CNC Routers

Any recommendations of a desktop machine that would be capable of this as well as cutting plastic and wood?
    No recommendations as far as routers go. That simply because I haven't seen one personally to recommend. However as you start to shop realize that there is an extremely wide array of CNC routers on the market as such you need to concentrate on models stiff enough and versatile enough spindle speed wise to cut the metals of your choice. This is a problem because the cheaper routers have for the most part high speed spindles.

It might be better to dedicate a small machine like a TAIG to key making and look at something different for your milling and router needs. I'm thinking here that the key making is for a business opportunity as such you may not want to be doing constant setups on the machine.

Mazak Integrex. It'll kick ass on keys.

Why not a Deckel Pantograph? You can damn near copy anything that fits the machine's table.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

do old fashioned imprint the cast