584,849 active members*
4,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Okuma & Howa Fanuc 6T Help

Hello all,

Picked an Okuma & Howa NC 4PS lathe. Equipped with Fanuc 6T control, Fanuc motors and drives.

Need some help getting it up and running, don't know much about these controls. I have the Fanuc programming manual, but do not have the Okuma operating manual. Any source for this? Will Okuma laugh at me?

I've figured out how to zero return the machine, and set X and Z absolute zeroes.

In MDI mode, I can move the axes at rapid speed, but have no idea how to move them at feed rate. The command page shows G00 active, but I don't know how (or if) I can change that to G01.

Next, no idea how to execute a tool change or spindle function from MDI.

Also, I have a two speed gearbox. How do I select the speed ranges? Are there standard Fanuc M codes for this?

I was able to input M3/M03, M6/M06, but they did nothing upon pressing start. I assume this age of control wants leading zeros in the M codes?

Whats the correct format for spindle speeds? (S word) 2 digit? 4 digit?

How about tool numbers? T2? T02? T0200? T0202?

Do I need to be in a certain XZ position to change tools?

Please fill me in on this stuff. The Fanuc book has tons of info, but seems to leave out lots of little details.

The next big problem is that the spindle drive has an error LED lit, "LED 2", with the following written above it:

Error Excess
    Phase Sequ
    ence

I've checked that all phases are present on both sides of the big fuses.

The machine was previously wired for 208v 3ph., and my shop has 240v 3ph, so I changed to the 220 or 230v taps on all the transformers as available. The spindle drive doesn't have any alternate taps on the transformer inside that I can see. Any ideas?

Please help!

Thanks,

Kevin

That's a Lot of Questions

You can change that G01 ... but the spindle will have to be turning since the feed would be in IPR ... example : G01 U1.00 F.010 ... U is incremental in the X axis ... W is incremental in the Z axis. The default feed is IPR, needs to have the spindle running to execute that movement.

Spindle Command sample : G97S600M03 ... G97 ( straight RPM vs. G96 which is CSFM ) S600 ( spindle speed ) M03 ( CW ) Note : Make sure the chuck is clamped ... spindle will not run if the chuck is un-clamped ... and maybe even if the door is open ( depending on the age of the machine )

The gear range is an M function ... machine builder specific ... not Fanuc ... usually like M41 / M42 ... you could find this in the electrical diagram or ladder.

Tool Command : T0100 ( 00 means no offset ) ... T0112 ( 12 means offset 12 ) ... G00T0100 in MDI should index the turret.

You do not need any specific position to change tools ... be careful .. you need some programming knowledge for this when you create a program as you would need the G50 and that's a whole nother issue.

Spindle Drive : are you sure the phase is correct? You can try switching the leads coming in which will switch the phase. Try the coolant pump ... if the motor spins backwards, the phase is wrong.

Hope this helps a little.

Real World Machine Shop Software at Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop and CNC Software

Got the G01 changed, and you're right, no movement. Can I change to feed per min?

I use G00 to execute a tool change? No M06 necessary?

Phasing is correct, as the hydraulic pump runs the right way.

Thanks for the reply!!

Kevin

No m6 on a lathe.

More answers

Yes ... I think G98 IPM / G99 IPR ... the default on a lathe is G99 ... but you can input G98 thru MDI.

If the spindle is still the issue ... maybe change the phase anyway ... can't hurt I don't think.

Ya ... no M06 necessary ... just the T command ... first two digits is the turret station # ... 2nd two are the offset # ... not sure if I made that clear.

Hope this helps.

Real World Machine Shop Software at Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop and CNC Software

Thanks again for the replies. Tried the Tool change and spindle, got nothing. Once hitting start in MDI, nothing happens, but I can't type in any other commands either, unless I hit reset. Kinda like the machine is waiting for the commanded functions to take place before it can continue.

So, I have axis motion, and I have a working hydraulic tailstock. No spindle, no turret, coolant pump won't turn on, chuck won't open and close.

Is it possible I've lost PC/PLC/PMC parameters? I have a list of PC parameters with the machine. Where do I enter them? Through the control, or do I need to somehow communicate with the PLC directly?

A quick review of the control parameters shows that they are all there...but the machine functions don't seem to work. I assume the axes move as the control would control them directly, not through a PLC, and the tailstock isn't programmable, just straight hydraulic.

Help!

Kevin

Is the door closed?
    Is the chuck clamped?

Did you zero return the machine first?

More help

Ya .. I'm gonna agree with "underthetire".

Before you go digg'in ... sounds like an interlock somewhere. You should have a chuck clamped led on the panel ... open and close the chuck and make sure that's changing. If the chuck isn't closed ... nothing works that has to do with the spindle. Usually the chuck can be set to OD or ID clamping ... so you see the jaws clamp but it might be set the other direction than you're thinking.

Also ... these things must have manual controls. Can you index the turret through the panel controls? Can you start the spindle through the manual controls? If they all work ... it's an auto interlock somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I can't open or close the chuck. I step on the pedal, but nothing happens. No LED on the panel to indicate chuck status.

There are spindle jog controls on the panel, but they are also ineffective.

I checked the door interlock switch, and it works, but I have no voltage at the switch. I assume it should have 24v. No electrical diagram, so no idea where the wiring goes. Hopefully that's the problem.

This machine has a "Sequence Doctor" up on top, that appears to be some sort of status indicator for the Omron PLC. Has LEDs that light up apparently to indicate Input states. For example, if i step on the chuck pedal, a LED lights, or if I step on the tailstock pedals, LEDs light.

Not sure, but it seems that the wiring for these inputs goes to the LED display first, then to the PLC. I.E., the LEDs would light even if the PLC was dead. It does have power. I'm not sure if these things can lose their memory, like if they have a batter backup for volatile memory or whatever.

Still lost here, but I really appreciate the replies.

Kevin

Cool 6T

I have a Tsugami with a 3T the plane version of the 6T it has a stand by button that has to be pushed to run in MDI post a pic of the control pannel the key board's varry from machine to machine S300M3/start should run spindel in MDI . Programing in fanuc language is in peter smid's book CNC programing Also Ebay is a good place to look for manuals but the fanuc book's lose somthing in translation good Luck Kevin

Hi guys,

Been busy the past few days, but I received a copy of the electrical drawings from Okuma. Includes all the wiring, as well as alarm info, PLC ladder, Fanuc alarms, etc. According to this, Alarm 99 indicates a tool position switch problem. I checked the switches in the turret, as well as traced the wiring all the way back to the PLC input, and found nothing wrong. The turret is currently on tool 8, and the PLC input for tool 8 is the only tool input active, as it should be. This leads me to believe that the PLC is falsely generating the code 99, or the I/O unit is bad, or the entire PLC is bad.

The front panel alarm LEDs are controlled by the PLC. The code 99 LED is not lit there, but the code 90 LED, NC Alarm, is lit. The Fanuc side of things does not currently display any alarms, and a check of the Fanuc diagnostics display shows 701 bit 5 "1" until the hydraulics are activated, and then changes to "0", showing that no other external reset or E-stop is active.

There are several alarm conditions that would cause a Fanuc NC alarm, but as I said, I have no active alarms at the control. Only the alarms being displayed by the PLC.

I have no experience with ladder diagrams, but I would like to attempt to test the PLC by finding an input that I could toggle and read a corresponding output. A way of seeing if there's any life in this thing.

As far as an interlock issue, the door interlock switch goes directly to one of the Fanuc boards inside the control cabinet. No idea how to diagnose anything with that. All other safety switches go to the PLC- lube level, hydraulic pressure, etc.

What am I missing?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Re: Okuma & Howa Fanuc 6T Help

Hi Kevin,

Your machine is it the NC4P?
    I have the NC5P I'm trying to sort out.

Will it be possible to share the alarm codes please.

thanks
    Juan

Re: Okuma & Howa Fanuc 6T Help

Quote Originally Posted by juanswart101 View Post
    Hi Kevin,

Your machine is it the NC4P?
    I have the NC5P I'm trying to sort out.

Will it be possible to share the alarm codes please.

thanks
    Juan
    I have a similar issue (92 alarm) my okuma howa ACT-5 fanuc system 6t. Do you still have copy of the electrical drawings from Okuma and all the wiring diagram, as well as alarm info, PLC ladder, Fanuc alarms, etc. I will be grateful if some one can help me with copies of electrical drawing, and plc ladder