585,690 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brass Contamination

Guys,

We are a new manufacturing facility that is going to produce parts for aerospace industry. We have a new wire edm machine for our process. The material types which we are using are alloy steel, nimonic, titanium alloys. As per our customer's specification, the EDMed surface should not have brass contamination.

I have tried my best to eliminate the contamination but couldnt. I tried with multi pass, same wire spec from different wire suppliers and still couldnt achieve the requirement.

I need your help to resolve the issue.

Regards
    Vijay

Hello there!

If you are talking about the brown(ish) layer on the surfaces that have been machined then i might have some tips for you.

• Multi-passes
    (depends on type of material and for how long the part has been in the water)
    Usually you need to run around 4-5 passes to get a nice light-grey/silver colored surface without the annoying rust/brass layer, This might not work very good on titanium and other materials with a structure similar to aluminium (blah) but should work pretty good with alloy steel and nimonic.

• Chemicals

There's a few chemicals out there that removes these type of layers (rust, corrosions etc). You should be able to find a good one by talking to the company that provided your shop with the W-EDM. However, They are not very pleasant to use, Strong smell, Makes you dizzy and gives headaches.

• Glass blasting

If you are able to, And if your customer accepts a glass blasted finish of the parts then i'd actually go for this option. The finish of the surface (Ra) is usually improved by a whole lot (Depending on the type of material of course).
    Some things that you might want to consider to do is to EDM a test part, Glass blast it with as a low as possible pressure and see how it affects the surface, You will most likely have to increase the wire offset if you've got a tight tolerance to fit and especially if it's a soft material.

• Ultrasonic cleaner

Some say that it works good but it depends on what chemicals you pour into it, Usually you will have to rinse the parts for a while after the bath.

Good luck and take care!

Easy solution: Change your wire from brass to tungsten or molybdenum or similar and be happy.

You also can ask the producer of your edm.They can give you some good advice.
    Most producer have a broad range of good cut technologies for every material.Your machine settings are right?
    From which producer is your edm?

regards