585,589 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Changing initial dwell in Mach3

Is there a way to change (lessen) the default dwell time in Mach3?

I'm running a very basic drilling cycle in UHMW with a 900rpm so if the bit is not totally up to speed, no problem.
    I'm too impatient to wait the few extra seconds of dwell after the spindle starts. (Series 1 PCNC1100, no upgraded spindle).

I did find a "cheat", by pressing spindle start (I use alt-R on the keyboard) again right after the spindle starts, it will skip the dwell time and run the code. But if anyone knows how to change the default, that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wog View Post

I'm running a very basic drilling cycle in UHMW with a 900rpm so if the bit is not totally up to speed, no problem.
    I'm too impatient to wait the few extra seconds of dwell after the spindle starts. (Series 1 PCNC1100, no upgraded spindle).

I did find a "cheat", by pressing spindle start (I use alt-R on the keyboard) again right after the spindle starts, it will skip the dwell time and run the code. But if anyone knows how to change the default, that would help.
    You're right. It's frustrating. But it's like an ex-wife! You just have to learn to live with it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Actually I am pretty sure you can change it in the configuration file (I remember playing with it a long time ago, until I decided it was better left unchanged). It may void the warranty, though I am not sure how they could tell.
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by concombrefrais View Post
    Actually I am pretty sure you can change it in the configuration file (I remember playing with it a long time ago, until I decided it was better left unchanged). It may void the warranty, though I am not sure how they could tell.
    Christian
    I'm not too concerned about the warranty as it's about 6-1/2 years old. I'll check with Tormach and see what they say about what can be changed. It's not that big of a deal, just when you're standing there with a run of 300+ parts every second seems to count.

I'd leave the spindle running, which I do with smaller bits. But this job requires a 1.375" bit and I don't like having my fingers too close.

Just something to keep in mind if you do any tapping.... I changed my dwell times to 3 seconds (I have a full Mach3 version) to make sure spindle is up to speed before starting a cut...well, that is fine, but when I went to use my compression/tension tapping head, it applies the dwell there too... Can you say destroyed tap/threads.... good thing I was cutting air to try everything out.

I have since set the Mach3 dwell to 0 (it was the default in the Tormach XML anyway), and changed my Sprut post to output a G4 P3 after the M3/M4 Sxxxx to accomplish the same task, but no impact to threading ops as I just change the code to G4 P.3 instead for threading. Note that the Mach setting overrides and/or adds to whatever you program in the threading operation, hence the need to zero dwell out in the Mach configuration....

The Tormach Mach3 configuration is locked, but Tormach will supply the password if you agree to a waiver. I suspect they do that so that owners are forced to think a bit before futzing with settings that are better left alone.

I was told by Tormach that dissassembling my mill down to basic components would void the warranty, but they've always provided excellent support.

Mike

Search your PCNC3\macros\ folder for the "m3.m1s" macro. When opened with a text editor (ie notepad) it should look something like this:

wait = GetOEMLED (11) = 0
    DoSpinCW()
    If NOT isLoading() Then
    If wait Then ' not already running
    Code "G04 P" & nFmt(2 +(2.5 * GetOEMDRO (817)/5000),4) ' intercept 3 plus linear 0.88 sec per 1000 RPM
    While Ismoving()
    Sleep 0.5
    Wend
    End If
    End If

The delay is in the (2 +(2.5 * GetOEMDRO (817)/5000),4). You just need to tweak that formula to shorten the delay. The latest change from Tormach modified the formula and the sleep time to the following:

DoSpinCW()
    If NOT isLoading() Then
    Code "G04 P" & nFmt(3 +(2 * GetOEMDRO (817)/10000),4) ' intercept 3 plus linear 0.2 sec per 1000 RPM - changed Jan 2011
    While Ismoving()
    Sleep 100 ' changed from .5 June 2012 *dpr
    Wend
    End If
    End If

Have you tried to put your spindle speed and M3 in the same line as your positioning move.

Maybe something like GOG80G90X????Y????S4000M3

That might work for you.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1376 View Post
    Search your PCNC3\macros\ folder for the "m3.m1s" macro. When opened with a text editor (ie notepad) it should look something like this:

DoSpinCW()
    If NOT isLoading() Then
    Code "G04 P" & nFmt(2 +(2.5 * GetOEMDRO (817)/5000),4) ' intercept 3 plus linear 0.88 sec per 1000 RPM
    While Ismoving()
    Sleep 0.5
    Wend
    End If
    End If

The delay is in the (2 +(2.5 * GetOEMDRO (817)/5000),4). You just need to tweak that formula to shorten the delay. The latest change from Tormach modified the formula and the sleep time to the following:

DoSpinCW()
    If NOT isLoading() Then
    Code "G04 P" & nFmt(3 +(2 * GetOEMDRO (817)/10000),4) ' intercept 3 plus linear 0.2 sec per 1000 RPM - changed Jan 2011
    While Ismoving()
    Sleep 100 ' changed from .5 June 2012 *dpr
    Wend
    End If
    End If
    Thanks Dan. I found the file on my Series II machine and will play around with it. Unfortunately, this job is set up on the Series I which doesn't list it. Closest file is "m3" and when opened to edit just has the "DoSpinCW()".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Have you tried to put your spindle speed and M3 in the same line as your positioning move.

Maybe something like GOG80G90X????Y????S4000M3

That might work for you.
    Thanks Steve. I tried that, but no go.
    The code is just a simple drilling cycle that I probably setup through one of the Mach Wizards. I edited down to the bare minimum, still has the dwell. Looks like the best way is to hit cycle start (Alt-R) again after about 3 seconds.

Wog,

Are you running Tormach Mach3 or Artsofts Mach3?
    I ask because I have both the Tormach and Artsoft versions on my Series I machine.
    The Tormach version has the macro that Dan mentioned.
    The Artsoft version has the m3.m1s version you have.

Barry

OT:

This flew over Seal Beach pier yesterday...simply awsome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shuttle Fly-by, Seal Beach 9-2012 17 [1024x768].JPG  
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

Quote Originally Posted by btu44 View Post
    Wog,

Are you running Tormach Mach3 or Artsofts Mach3?
    I ask because I have both the Tormach and Artsoft versions on my Series I machine.
    The Tormach version has the macro that Dan mentioned.
    The Artsoft version has the m3.m1s version you have.

Barry

OT:

This flew over Seal Beach pier yesterday...simply awsome.
    Thanks Barry,
    How do I tell which version?
    It's licensed under "TormachLLC" with a serial number.
    On the Series I it's running version R2.42
    The Series II, it's R3.042.029

That's cool to see fly over, I've watched many Shuttle take-offs here.
    I'll never forget watching Challenger.

Wog,

If you are the original owner and did not load the ArtSoft version, than you can assume it's the Tormach version.

Or go to the Windows control panel / Add Remove Programs (Programs and Features) and check the publisher of the Mach3 program.

Also, if you have signed a waiver with Tormach, you can check the Spindle Setup general parameters for delays.

The Challanger accident happened the first day of a WestPac cruise while I was serving on the USS Enterprise. I'll never forget ether.

Yes, the publisher is Tormach.
    I'll get in touch with Tormach and sign the waiver for both machines this coming week.
    Thanks again. And thanks for your service!:cheers:

If you get the waiver and feel comfortable changing configuration settings.
    You could update the Series I machine to Series II Mach3 software.
    Mach3 R3 is much improved over R2. I would tell what needs to be changed via email if you want? It pretty easy...nothing like writing a macro.

Barry

Thanks Dan. I found the file on my Series II machine and will play around with it. Unfortunately, this job is set up on the Series I which doesn't list it. Closest file is "m3" and when opened to edit just has the "DoSpinCW()".

Thanks Steve. I tried that, but no go.
    The code is just a simple drilling cycle that I probably setup through one of the Mach Wizards. I edited down to the bare minimum, still has the dwell. Looks like the best way is to hit cycle start (Alt-R) again after about 3 seconds.
    It only takes about 7 seconds for the spindle to start. 8 tools is still less than one minute. If you're in that much of a hurry, you probably bought the wrong machine.