585,973 active members*
4,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > Techno Isel (1995) program language? fanuc?

Techno Isel (1995) program language? fanuc?

I have been working on setting up an older techno isel machine for the past few months. It is a mid 90’s machine and as such it has a very old dos program to run it. I plan to upgrade the box and the software sometime next year but for the time being I plan to try to use it the way it is.

Today, I began some trials but each time I tried to run the code (that I programmed in standard Fanuc language) the machine failed to recognize the program. I opened up an old program that happened to reside on the hard drive and I am not sure of the program language. Does this type of machine use fanuc or is it some other type of language?

None of the programs that reside on the machine appear to be anything that I can understand.

Can you show a few lines as a sample?
    There was a couple of languages around that vintage.
    One called ESSI the other WADR, Burny used these on their cutting machines.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

the early techno machines ran on nci files from un-post processed master cam tool paths. there was also a mac language, (machine automation control) and sac (servo automation control) later , when they went to the pci interface they developed a fanuc style interpreter. I think the initial mac200 controller converted the nci to hex and drip fed it to the machine via serial bus.

the question would be do you have a servo machine or stepper.

If you're definitely going to upgrade to a more modern PC with windows, don't bother figuring out how to run it in DOS, it will be completely different after you upgrade.

There were a few different interfaces for that era. Can you tell me what you're using for software, what some of your old code looks like, and what you're looking to do? Routing? Dispensing? Automation?

Regards,
    Eric
    Eric Feldman - Design Engineer, Programmer
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Here is a sample screen shot of the code.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resize of IMG-20120921-00023.jpg  

Yeah, you're going to have a bit of learning and experimenting to get that working. I'm guessing at the top of the screen, that file was a .NCI file?

If so, definitely don't lose your mastercam install, it's irreplaceable.

Any idea as to whether or not you'll be upgrading to windows? If so, there's no point working with getting you set up in dos.

Eric
    Armor CNC - http://www.armorcnc.com Support hours: 7am thru 10pm EST, 7 days a week

Almost looks like Gerber?
    Was the machine used in PCCT production?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It was (is?) a mastercam-native thing. Long since abandoned for many good reasons.

nci (numeric control intermediate) the short line is the command 0= g0 1=g1 2=g2 etc.

the longer line is x, y, z, a , done by position in the line, there are a few other things in there as well I would have to look up. I don't remember if they ever did a g code interpreter for the isa card interface or not, you can writ e code for it if you can sortout the positions of the numbers.

it is user friendly in same fasion as ms dos was. if you know some one with an earlier version of mastercam, you might be able to revers post a g code file and run it from an nci.

Indeed, we made a dos gcode interface.

The main question is whether to upgrade or not.

Eric

sometimes the question is how to get by until the funds are available, there is no question that the new pci interface is miles ahead of the old... the motion and new preprocessors are great. but you still gotta buy the card.

It sounds like you're dealing with an ISA version of their servo controls. That's the same Turbovision app as my own machine.After looking at what was supplied with the machine, I wrote my own interface for linux, OreTek MicroMill. I've been developing it since 2009 Q1 and will be revising it to allow for somewhat open licensing with specific features disabled, such as Orthotic Manufacturing. I think Techno has a more modern program available, although they don't like to admit it. My own code, with minor variations works on all Techno servo based products.
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com

That's an interesting group of statements... Of course we have a new software and controller set... Why wouldn't we like to admit it? The ISA card was great for its time, but is now around 25 years old. Wouldn't we be proud to have more modern equipment?

We're also starting to ship certain machines with a PCI express card now, as well as an updated version of our regular PCI card in a smaller board size to accommodate smaller computers.

Not to worry, the new PCI and PCI express cards are all backwards and forwards compatible, and software updates are free for life for all of the PCI/PCI express equipment. Same software for all of it. Compatible with windows from 98SE all the way thru windows 8 64 bit (and whatever comes next).

There are also a few surprises coming, all of them we're really proud of, all of them backwards and forwards compatible with our software that so many people have a great time using. I'm really looking forward to breaking the news!

Quote Originally Posted by joejared View Post
    It sounds like you're dealing with an ISA version of their servo controls. That's the same Turbovision app as my own machine.After looking at what was supplied with the machine, I wrote my own interface for linux, OreTek MicroMill. I've been developing it since 2009 Q1 and will be revising it to allow for somewhat open licensing with specific features disabled, such as Orthotic Manufacturing. I think Techno has a more modern program available, although they don't like to admit it. My own code, with minor variations works on all Techno servo based products.

Interesting group of statements? When I talked techno about it in 2009, they said there wasn't a newer package, so I wrote one. Was I lied to back then? All of my software is linux based. On more practical matters, please have Chris call me or my customer, or better yet, sort out the warranty issue with the driver board refund.

Hm. Maybe I'm confused about what we're discussing here.

In 2009 you called and were told we didn't have anything newer than the ISA card? Or am i turned around in this thread because of how it started and I'm misunderstanding you?

Can you PM me the info for your customer along with your email so I can personally take care of your customer's info, and we can sort out the disconnect with your hardware?

thanks!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericscottf View Post

In 2009 you called and were told we didn't have anything newer than the ISA card? Or am i turned around in this thread because of how it started and I'm misunderstanding you?

Can you PM me the info for your customer along with your email so I can personally take care of your customer's info, and we can sort out the disconnect with your hardware?

thanks!
    Eric

We're confusing hardware and software. My own software supports both the older ISA cards and the PCI Cards, with only minor variations due to IO port changes. I've yet to use the Express PCI card, but if it's anything like the PCI Card it shouldn't be a problem for me either. What Techno didn't support at the time was a G-code interface for the older ISA series of cards. After developing my own program it became obvious with as little difference between the ISA and PCI cards, there should have been proper support for it.

Since this thread is about older techno machines, there is a hardware change I've made to my own that may be of benefit to others.
    For older hardware that uses the spherical bearing pairs for thrust bearings, I have a much better solution.

OH! Now I know who you are and what you're talking about. Actually, I was speaking about you with one of our customers the other day.

"Fun" fact: The current CNC interface actually does support the older ISA cards, the issue is actually that windows and the hardware various consortiums dropped support for ISA a long time ago. Moreover, no changes are necessary! This is why you're able to do your thing in linux on older hardware.

If you were to find an older PC that had an ISA slot and you were to run windows 98 or older (actually, it was killed midway thru windows 2000 releases), you could use the newest version of our software to run an ISA card.

I can't remember the last time that came up, it's been so long!

Nobody wants to screw around dumpster diving for that old hardware, so they just get a new computer and PCI card and they're set.

As far as the PCI express card, contact me and we can discuss our plans for how open the architecture will be.

Regards,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericscottf View Post
    OH! Now I know who you are and what you're talking about. Actually, I was speaking about you with one of our customers the other day.
    Ah, good to know. If things are on track, a used LC4896 should be on its way here soon and in addition to that, probably a couple LC3024's by end of year, and a new inhouse built table. I think the LC3024 will be preferred because of the time it takes to build a machine from scratch.